Is this extension cord OK for my Auber Cube 2E? 240v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I made a power cord out of 10/3 or 10/4 wire (10 gauge, 30A, max 7500 watts, 600V, locking 3-pole plug with ground etc) to power my Auber Cube 2E, which controls one 5500W element and two pumps.

I moved my 3 vessel system across my garage and now need about 25ft of power cable as I don't want to relocate the outlet). Is this Harbor Freight find adequate?

https://www.harborfreight.com/elect...tor-duty-twist-lock-extension-cord-62308.html

It's quite a bit cheaper than by-the-foot wire at Home Depot, but I'm not sure it'l fly as it's rated for 250 AC volts? I need to be able to run both pumps and the heat element on it (but never both elements at the same time).

Thank you!

That 25 foot cord should work fine for a 30A load.
The 250V rating is its expected use - pretty much dictated by the connectors.
And one does not make a cord for 250V use out of 250V rated wire. I bet you'll see the same 600V rating as that's a common standard for wires that use the same type of insulation...

Cheers!

No. If you are controlling a 240V element, and 120V pumps, you need four prongs/slots plugs/receptacles, and four conductor wires in the cord, to support the loads you have.

Edit: Sorry when you said "three pole plug" you threw me off. The linked cord has the required four prongs/slots and wires.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks gents! Sorry, I meant to say 4 prongs, with 1 of them being a ground.

The whole 250A AC threw me off. Maybe that isn't worth paying attention to since the gauge and amperage tolerance is the same as what I've got.

So it sounds like it'll fly, since its all 10 gauge wire rated for 30A?

Same plugs as what I'm currently using (NEMA L14-30R Connector, four conductors)

Thanks gents! Sorry, I meant to say 4 prongs, with 1 of them being a ground.

The whole 250A AC threw me off. Maybe that isn't worth paying attention to since the gauge and amperage tolerance is the same as what I've got.

So it sounds like it'll fly, since its all 10 gauge wire rated for 30A?
You're good to go.

Brew on :mug:

Rad! Like half-price + connectors with the coupon they're running!

Will pick one up tomorrow and get an Oatmeal Stout going.

Thank you

Back