Is this CO2 tank current?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this Co2 tank current in its hydro cert? I recently acquired it at a yard sale along with a bunch of other goodies.

I believe the DOT3A means aluminum and they get tested every 3 years. So 3 years after 2015. But don't quote me, I've had a few ;-)

They will tell you when you try to get it filled.

Yeah, I've had a few already too... I also found this stamp on the other side. The only thing is the closest fill places are 20 to 30 minutes away, one tests on sits and the other sends away. Not a rush either since I don't have anything fermenting, yet.

View attachment 1432159242843.jpg

I think the 2015 is the max psi, and not the year. It should need retesting every 5 years, and im assuming 2000 is the last test date, so it expired in 2005. Thats my guess.

fwiw, DOT 3AA-2015 is a cylinder rating spec, with a service pressure of 2015 psi.
Not a cert date.
And just looking at that tank says it's steel, and it's pretty old.

The last image puts you in the ball park, if that's the only certification stamp on the tank: it hasn't been certified since August 1986.
If you have an AirGas fill station local to you, they usually will simply exchange a filled cylinder and won't whack you with a hydro fee...

Cheers!

Yep, it's steel, it's heavy as hell too! I may go the airgas route if that's where it takes me.

1986 is the year after I graduated high school! So this is an old tank, but not as old as me. I actually have my 30th high school reunion this year!

Thanks

fwiw, DOT 3AA-2015 is a cylinder rating spec, with a service pressure of 2015 psi.
Not a cert date.
And just looking at that tank says it's steel, and it's pretty old.

The last image puts you in the ball park, if that's the only certification stamp on the tank: it hasn't been certified since August 1986.
If you have an AirGas fill station local to you, they usually will simply exchange a filled cylinder and won't whack you with a hydro fee...

Cheers!

I stand corrected... 👍👍

Just to clarify. I fill these tanks for a living.... you are all more or less right on all accounts accept the date. This tank was last hydrostatic tested on 2000. As indicated by the large 00. This means the tank is 10 years out of date as it expired in 2005. Obviously an irrelevant fact since it's expired regardless. But just for common knowledge if you come across a tank that has a 5 point star stamped in it after or around the last inspection date then the tank is actually good for 10 years rather then 5. This can save some cost on exchange or testing if you are aware.

A 30 year old tank isn't very old. I've got welding tanks floating around from the 50s. Friends have had them from the 20s with big oval logos stamped in them with the letters "ford" inside those ovals.

Do the welding store swap and off you go. You might be able to con them into an aluminum tank too. Might have to pay a small fee to upgrade if you want. There is lots of rooM in the margins to mess with pricing so Haggle a bit.

I use Praxair here in New York they exchange any CO2 tank

I had soda CO2 tanks with rubber boots on the bottom that no one would fill or hydro test

take them in pay your 20$ plus taxes for a 20 pound tank and walk with a up to date tank

all the best

S_M

Do the welding store swap and off you go. You might be able to con them into an aluminum tank too. Might have to pay a small fee to upgrade if you want. There is lots of rooM in the margins to mess with pricing so Haggle a bit.

Mildly off topic but since I'm here anyway, is there any advantages of Aluminium vs. Steel for CO2 tanks asides from steel weighing more?

Mildly off topic but since I'm here anyway, is there any advantages of Aluminium vs. Steel for CO2 tanks asides from steel weighing more?

none that I can tell sometimes I get steel with an exchange sometimes I get aluminum

they both carb beer and push beer out the tap the same as far as I can tell

all the best

S_M

Just to clarify. I fill these tanks for a living.... you are all more or less right on all accounts accept the date. This tank was last hydrostatic tested on 2000. As indicated by the large 00. T[...]

Now I stand corrected ;)

Is there any standard for certification markings?
None of the stamped codes on any of my tanks - CO2, Nitro, O2 and my welding tanks - look like that one...

Cheers!

Now I stand corrected ;)

Is there any standard for certification markings?
None of the stamped codes on any of my tanks - CO2, Nitro, O2 and my welding tanks - look like that one...

Cheers!

Yes there is a standard... all tanks must adhere to federal and OSHA standards... now depending on what industry your in when using the tank. I.e. medical, automotive, welding and fabrication.... will depend on what manual or regulation you follow but all service instructions will follow the same guidelines.

All tanks must have stamped in them a material code to indicate first and for most what the tank is made of and what the tanks purpose is... ie. Steel tank for oxygen or steel/aluminum tank for Co2 or nitrogen, and so forth. All tanks must have a serial number. And they all must have a date of testing and a max fill presure stamped into them.

The reason all your tanks look different as markings is because between the seal number, year it was serviced and type of gass it holds there will de large variations for its codes and numbers.

Lastly any tank that has a + sign next to its presure marking means it can be fill 10% more then it's rated and marked pressure. And like mentioned before if it has a star it has a 10 year service life. You will find these mostly in steel tanks.

I called Airgas today, and told the guy I have a dog of a tank that's NOT been hydro'd recently, he said to bring it down and they'll swap it for another 10# (not a hashtag, lol) cylinder of my choice. Aluminum or steel....only $25.00! Great deal over all, especially since I only paid $6.00 for the steel (steal) tank and everything else, including a cold plate and igloo with a faucet.

I called Airgas today, and told the guy I have a dog of a tank that's NOT been hydro'd recently, he said to bring it down and they'll swap it for another 10# (not a hashtag, lol) cylinder of my choice. Aluminum or steel....only $25.00! Great deal over all, especially since I only paid $6.00 for the steel (steal) tank and everything else, including a cold plate and igloo with a faucet.

Great score! Way to go!

Wow. You should definitely swap for aluminum. Lighter and more valuable.

Nice score. One of the better scores I have heard About.

He originally was asking 10.00 for it all, a great deal at that, but I only had 6.00 on me, so he took that. Although my wife had more money, she wasn't close to me at the time. Plus I think the dudes wife was pushing him to get rid of it...

Bad news. Got to Airgas, they said it is a "non-standard" tank and I can only have it tested at Richmond Oxygen, the company that has the sticker on it. So, wife and I are heading up to Ashland next week and I'll drop it off there to get tested and filled. They also said once it is tested, they can swap it...doesn't make much sense to me what they said, but it is what it is. They just can't swap it if it isn't hydro'd recently, different from what the guy I talked to on the phone said.

Bad news. Got to Airgas, they said it is a "non-standard" tank and I can only have it tested at Richmond Oxygen, the company that has the sticker on it. So, wife and I are heading up to Ashland next week and I'll drop it off there to get tested and filled. They also said once it is tested, they can swap it...doesn't make much sense to me what they said, but it is what it is. They just can't swap it if it isn't hydro'd recently, different from what the guy I talked to on the phone said.

post a picture of this non-standard tank please

Back