Is this cider or vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
I had a few cups of apple juice. I forgot to put them in the fridge. The tops swelled up after a few days.
I opened all of em and put em in a mason jar. I cant tell if its cider or vinegar - its still too sweet, but its got a sediment that's pretty whitish. Any way to tell if I'm making cider or vinegar ?
Thanks.
Srinath.

Cider is when yeast convert the sugars in apple juice to ethanol (alcohol). Vinegar is what happens when aceto bacteria invade the alcohol and convert that into acetic acid. It takes a long time for the bacteria (in the presence of oxygen) to convert alcohol into vinegar but it takes a couple of weeks (more or less) to convert fructose and sucrose (sugars) into alcohol. If you are talking about "a few days" then my money is on cider ... but the proof of the pudding is always in the eating. Taste the liquid. Vinegar tastes very acidic. Hard cider will taste mildly of alcohol.

My wife said its vinegar like smell from the sediment in the cups, but it was over 10 days now that my wife told me when we got it.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back