Is this bad? What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersk

Kabin Brewing Co
Reaction score
Normally brew in glass and have a view into how things progress. Just opened my stainless brew bucket after a week and the Krausen looks sorta fine but the splotchiness of it seems new to me. Normal? Just hops in the process of clearing?

Attachments

• F40ED60C-4D9C-4D84-AAD5-3D8D68BF3CBB.jpeg
    F40ED60C-4D9C-4D84-AAD5-3D8D68BF3CBB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54
Normally brew in glass and have a view into how things progress. Just opened my stainless brew bucket after a week and the Krausen looks sorta fine but the splotchiness of it seems new to me. Normal? Just hops in the process of clearing?
Looks totally normal.

PS: Do your beer a favor, don't peek. Try to minimize oxidation.

Opened for a dry hop… may try something fancy with magnets or thread next time :)

but good to know! Think it’s just thrown me not seeing it go through the stages

Opened for a dry hop… may try something fancy with magnets or thread next time :)

but good to know! Think it’s just thrown me not seeing it go through the stages
magnets and thread, that sounds like a bag of hops hanging out above the beer, which might create the environment for mold growth. IME, just be quick about it, keep the hops in a small ziploc with all the air squeezed out and try to minimize the 'lid off' time. As mere homebrewers, there isn't a whole lot more that can be done without going to extravagant expense. Me personally, I focus on other styles. I have had good luck with keg hopping too.

In this case, it's the yeast strain. I'm guessing wlp007, or maybe wlp002, or a closely related English ale strain.
No worries, but as has been drummed out, stop peeking :D

Cheers!

magnets and thread, that sounds like a bag of hops hanging out above the beer, which might create the environment for mold growth. IME, just be quick about it, keep the hops in a small ziploc with all the air squeezed out and try to minimize the 'lid off' time. As mere homebrewers, there isn't a whole lot more that can be done without going to extravagant expense. Me personally, I focus on other styles. I have had good luck with keg hopping too.

Ah very good point. I had seen some videos of people doing it to reduce O2 but sounds risky. Honestly the lid was off for maybe 20 seconds which seems safe enough

Back