Is this bad Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
Ok this looks different than I’m used to seeing. The top layer of this Krausen looks creamy. This started this morning, 3 days into fermentation. Normally (from what I have seen) there is a bit of crusty layer on top of a bubbly layer (like you see the first two layers here. Never have seen this top creamy looking layer. Almost looks like milk bubbling over. Is this an infestation or something normal?

I forgot to put the picture in. Haha! Here it is...
A3A5DAB3-CECC-4E7F-91BF-69FE4A4E1D95.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to hear it is fine, but what could be causing this vs the last 4 batches I’ve made? The last batches didn’t have this. One thing different was I upped the OG, but kept the same ratios of the fermentables. Just added a bit more of each to get a stronger beer (it’s an IPA that first had 1.047 OG, now it’s 1.065 OG). I also added some yeast nutrient when I didn’t before. And used bottled water instead of home filtered water. Those are the differences. Could any of those cause the creamy layer? Just never seen that. Looks just like milk. Lol!

could be but I wouldnt be worried about it. Looks like your on your way to making some beer.

OP, How'd it turn out?
So I just bottled it last week, wanna give some time in the bottle before trying one. It tasted pretty good though trying the remains of the part that wouldn’t fit in the bottles, only can imagine it will be even better cold and carbonated. So I guess the funky looking crausen was normal. This is only my 4th batch ever, and it just was much more milky than normal. But I guess that’s something that could be normal...

Unless you see floating, ugly orbs growing on top of the beer before bottling/kegging, you're typically okay. There's a thread for those to post photos of their infections. It's a good learning tool to see what things look like when it goes sideways...so you're ready for if/when it does occur.

Unless you see floating, ugly orbs growing on top of the beer before bottling/kegging, you're typically okay. There's a thread for those to post photos of their infections. It's a good learning tool to see what things look like when it goes sideways...so you're ready for if/when it does occur.
Yes I looked all through that before posting here and didn’t see exactly like mine. I guess I should have thought I didn’t have infection with not seeing that issue of milky crausen but, being new I guess I was worried more than need be. Haha

A higher OG beer will be more viscous, perhaps the viscosity is causing the milky bubbles. Like the other posters though, I think it isn’t anything serious.
Ok cool, yeah this is the highest OG beer I’ve brewed so far so maybe.

Latest posts

Back