Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberlad

Reaction score
I've never had an infection before but this batch has made me a little worried. Whaddya think?

image-2705152135.jpg

image-3184284847.jpg

image-203008891.jpg

I'm glad I don't ferment in my carboy...I don't want to see things like this. I would have made this exact same post lol

Here is what improper rinsing techniques with STARSANS will do to a batch in the secondary. Talk about an infection.....smelled like wet compost when I took the cap off the fermentor. Pre-boiled and then sanitized the nylon hop bag, but I suppose I did not get it all out ( yes I prob used WAY to fricken much too) prior to adding the hops and suspending it in the glass fermentor.

IMG00056-20120114-1102.jpg

Did you use women's nylons for the hops? Not poking fun, just curious.
Either way, was the end of the sack always hanging out of the top? If it was, how did you seal the top?

Here is what improper rinsing techniques with STARSANS will do to a batch in the secondary. Talk about an infection.....smelled like wet compost when I took the cap off the fermentor. Pre-boiled and then sanitized the nylon hop bag, but I suppose I did not get it all out ( yes I prob used WAY to fricken much too) prior to adding the hops and suspending it in the glass fermentor.

Dangit, now you've got me worrying about my own hops in the hop bag. Just today I racked my IPA into 2nd'y (first time using one) on top of a boiled and then StarSan'd hop bag full of whole leaf Chinook.

OP: yeast rafts can be alarming the first few times. I'm only just getting over my paranoia about them. Fortunately, perfectly normal.

Good stuff.

Everythings looking fantastic so far. Currently in secondary and looking incredible. Can't wait to drink this stuff.

Latest posts

Back