Is this a valid enclosure for HERMS build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 29x21x12, thats an awful large enclosure for a PID and SSR or two and some switches. At $20 and 10" x 12" x6" this may be a better choice.

!BW9+LcQB2k~$(KGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKZ588bK)w~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoffman-Enclosu...lectrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item4a9e86282e

It's the only NEMA 4 or 4X box I've been able to find cheaply thus far...

The original is for local pickup anyway, so no good.
I thought the requirement was at least NEMA 4? That's what I've been searching for anyway.

PREFACE: I am not an electrician, and don't know squat about NEMA ratings.

I think saying NEMA 4 is a requirement for a HERMS control panel is a stretch. Is soon as you cut a hole in it to mount your PID it won't be NEMA 4 any longer. Unless you're going to mount it in a place where liquid could drain on it, I don't think NEMA rating is a concern. The HERMS control panel I've used for the last year or so is in a plastic craftsman toolbox. Just a thought.

40c4bd9bd801602f6868dc60e04a1a7c.jpg

Just trying to follow the advice I got on another thread.

I actually like the first enclosure you posted. I was looking at those myself until I noticed it was local pickup only. I am not totally concerned about nema rating, but would like to buy a nice enclosure without breaking the bank.

I ended up getting a box like the one suggested in post #2. Now I'm wondering what purpose of the optional interior panel is for and whether or not I need to get it?

Thanks,
Eric

Certainly looks easier doing the work like that...
Looks like a worthwhile $10 investment.

thx

Back