Is this a really bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are your plans for it exactly? In addition to another heat source?

If you have $96 to spend, why not buy a turkey fryer or other such burner with the BTUs to handle the job?

what are your plans for it exactly? In addition to another heat source?

If you have $96 to spend, why not buy a turkey fryer or other such burner with the BTUs to handle the job?

I'm probably going to go with an amped up propane burner but this thing puts off more BTUs and is slightly cheaper. I was just curious if anyone had used anything like this as a heat source for brewing.

I would get a nice propane burner, that thing will be more of a problem than it is worth I think.

500,000 btu/hr?

You must REALLY like stouts. Cause if that thing could put THAT much heat on the kettle that is about all you end up with. Have fun cleaning up after that.

Seriously, unless your boiling a full barrel at a time a mere 160k btu will get 13 G to a boil in 30 or less and it won't kill a tank in the process.

500,000 btu/hr?

You must REALLY like stouts. Cause if that thing could put THAT much heat on the kettle that is about all you end up with. Have fun cleaning up after that.

Seriously, unless your boiling a full barrel at a time a mere 160k btu will get 13 G to a boil in 30 or less and it won't kill a tank in the process.

Yeah I admit it would be a little overkill. But the raw power of it just seems fun to have! ;)

You would be better off with a bayou banjo or similar. these are used for torch down roofing and such, can get them at home depot for quite a bit less. but they burn through a lot of propane and by the time you rig up some way to use it its probably not worth it.

I would think your kettle might have problems with that much heat in such a small area on the bottom.

That much heat will scorch & over-carmelize the wort, boil off too much water, waste TONS of fuel, and possibly damage your kettle. It is uneccesary and could possibly be detrimental to your brewing process. Do yourself a favor, and buy the $25 turkey fryer from wal-mart, brings my 8 gallons to a boil just fine.

That much heat will scorch & over-carmelize the wort, boil off too much water, waste TONS of fuel, and possibly damage your kettle. It is uneccesary and could possibly be detrimental to your brewing process. Do yourself a favor, and buy the $25 turkey fryer from wal-mart, brings my 8 gallons to a boil just fine.

That's exactly why I'd want to do it! You'd be able to make some unique brews, if nothing else. ;)

I would try the one at Harbor Freight, for whatever you are trying to blow up, before dropping a Benny on that.

PROPANE TORCH

91033.gif

Ideal for melting ice on sidewalks and driveways. Attaches readily to a standard propane tank
including ones with the new OPD valve. Wand comes with a flow valve and turbo blast trigger
for maximum flame and temperatures over 3000° F!

Easily attach
  • es to propane tank (not included)
  • Heats up to over 3000º F
  • Includes nozzle assembly, metal handle, hard rubber grip, and 6 ft. 6'' hose

ITEM 91033-4VGA

$19.99

Or for a little more: PROPANE TORCH WITH PUSH BUTTON IGNITER $32.99

/tg

I would try the one at Harbor Freight, for whatever you are trying to blow up, before dropping a Benny on that.

/tg

...yes, because if there's any store to trust with highly flammable/explosive materials, it's Harbor Freight. ;)

No, I love those guys, even if I have to take about 1/3 of the stuff I get there back because it doesn't work, or last past the first use.

Still, that looks like a great deal.

Latest posts

Back