Is this a good kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont have experience with those smaller fridges but if space isnt an issue typically your best bang for your buck is finding a half decent used fridge (they can be found for REALLY cheap) heck I got my 1st one for free....

That way you can go through OBK or other supply shop and spend the $$$ where it counts in a good tap and parts for the kegs....

If you must get a smaller fridge due to space limitations... then ignore my post and im sure someone will chim in!

Hmm... I guess a good question would be how much beer are you wanting to have on tap? That'll give you two sixtels at once to choose from. Are you planning on having multiple styles available at once? If so, then you can still get by with a smaller fridge... something like this will hold two Corny style kegs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00P84EW5M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You would have to drill a hole in the top, install a tower and taps, etc. In my opinion, you'd save money in the long run by DIY instead of buying one pre-made. The only thing you have to worry about is that you don't accidentally cut one of the coolant lines. Most compact refrigerators these days mainly have coolant lines in the sides, but you should make a mix of cornstarch and alcohol and paint the top of the fridge to find out where the coolant lines are. You should see a pattern in the cornstarch where the coolant lines are as it will dry faster there than elsewhere. Here is a decent how-to thread. I know there's one out here that gives the instructions for using the slurry of alcohol and corn starch... but i can't find it right now. Here's a tutorial by Popular Mechanics... very good from what i can see... but as always you have to take the plans and modify them for your particular mini-fridge. :) http://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...13106/diy-draft-step-by-step-kegerator-plans/

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with the cooling system in some of the lower-end, pre-built kegerators.

In my opinion, you want a full compressor unit. Some of the cheaper units use peltier cooling, which is not always that great at getting/keeping temperatures down.

I bought a small beverage fridge that uses peltier cooling. It never gets colder than ~20F below ambient temperature. It gets 'kinda cold', but never cold enough. It's pretty useless unless I'm cooling wine.

Sometimes it's hard to tell what you're actually buying. Generally, if I see 'wine cooler' in the specifications as the cooler type, I assume it might be one of these. If people are complaining in the reviews about beer being too warm, it might be a peltier system.

I noted some of the low end kegerators were essentially dorm refrigerators with a tap tower affixed. They may be marginally satisfactory if used in a non-stressful environment such as inside your home. Outside on a screened porch, by the pool or in your garage you'll find they can't keep the beer cool.

I went this route and sold it within the first summer I had it. I spent the money on a commercial quality Beverage Air and it has served me flawlessly 20+ years. You get what you pay for.

I noted some of the low end kegerators were essentially dorm refrigerators with a tap tower affixed. They may be marginally satisfactory if used in a non-stressful environment such as inside your home. Outside on a screened porch, by the pool or in your garage you'll find they can't keep the beer cool.

I went this route and sold it within the first summer I had it. I spent the money on a commercial quality Beverage Air and it has served me flawlessly 20+ years. You get what you pay for.

Yep. "Dorm Fridge" kegerators are definitely only good for indoors. :) Wouldn't want to use them outside.

Latest posts

Back