is this a decent Imperial IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarmaa

Reaction score
I came upon an imperial ipa recipe from beertools.com it calls for 11lbs american 2-row, 3 lbs dark DME, 1 oz Chinook for 60 min. and 1 oz collumbus and 1 lb cane sugar. I'm subing bullion for the collumbus to try and keep the hops from being too overwhelming. Anyone think this is a good idea/ recipe? I'm going for Avery brewing co's Maharaja imperial IPA so if anyone has a recipe that is closer to that let me know. I also have a question about how to mash. Whats the best way to mash 11 lbs of american 2-row? My plan was to steep it all in a giant mesh bag that covers my whole brew pot in 12 quarts of water and sparge with another 12.

You'd be better off with a full all-grain setup to mash 11lbs of anything. You're going to get terrible efficiency. I would replace the 2-row with an equivalency of light DME. Also, seems a little strange to me that an AG recipe would be augmented with 3lbs dark DME when you could just add dark grains to the mash with a more controllable result?

Back