Is this a common problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianbrewer2012

Reaction score
I just recently got my first keg right where I wanted it with regards to carbonation and serving pressure however have recently ran into a problem. I have my serving pressure set at 10 psi and if I leave it for a few days I come back and the pressure rises... I have reset it several times and checked over and over again that the regulator was done climbing before I walk away but it still rises almost 8 psi over a few days... At first I was wondering if it was because of some temperature change (as it is summer and my kegerator is in the garage) but I have a thermostat in there that doesn't seem to change.. Is this a common problem or is my regulator needing to retire? Any suggestions?

I ran into this once when I didn't fully use a secondary and racked right into the keg from primary. The readings said it was done, but I was getting a couple psi every couple days. I brought it back up to room temperature for a week, bled the co2, and everything was good. Not sure if this is applicable, but might be the issue.

Yep, how long did you have the beer in the primary/secondary before you kegged? The time I had that issue, the beer was in the primary for a month, but it was a little low on the fermenting temp range (it was in my basement). Still within reason, but low. When I kegged, the yeast must still have been active a bit, and contributed co2 to the keg, thus adding pressure.

By saying "my serving pressure set at 10 psi", are you implying that you have a different carbonation pressure? If you carbonate at a given pressure then serve at a lower pressure, the CO2 in the beer will come out of solution until equilibrium is again reached.

Yeast are generally inactivated at serving temperatures.

Hi

To rule out the regulator, close the valve after the regulator output (hopefully you have one) and let it sit for a while. A bad regulator can creep up (in pressure) on you.

Bob

Ok I think I know what's going on here...this is my first keg and I tried a blast carb method and didn't know what I was doing.. I had an over carbonation problem and just clearly didn't bleed off all of the c02 I needed to .. Must be releasing still from the solution and raising the pressures

similar question.. i hooked up a brand spanking new regulator to a paintball tank.. I have the on/off for the tank sealed perfectly.. but when i open up the high pressure the low pressure gauge bursts to about 60 PSI even with the regulator knob all the way OUT... it doesnt go as high to blow off the safety valve... but if i release it there it climbs way back up.. Am i vitum to a bum regulator?.. The hi pressure of the tank is 3k. Isnt the high pressure of the regulator supposed to handle that?

similar question.. i hooked up a brand spanking new regulator to a paintball tank.. I have the on/off for the tank sealed perfectly.. but when i open up the high pressure the low pressure gauge bursts to about 60 PSI even with the regulator knob all the way OUT... it doesnt go as high to blow off the safety valve... but if i release it there it climbs way back up.. Am i vitum to a bum regulator?.. The hi pressure of the tank is 3k. Isnt the high pressure of the regulator supposed to handle that?

Hi

You have a nitrogen paintball tank. You want a CO2 tank to do normal beer stuff. Nitrogen is run at significantly higher pressure in the tank than CO2, that's the giveaway.

If you have a normal CO2 regulator it may not be happy at 3,000 psi. Your symptoms indicate that it's not working correctly. I would not toss the regulator until you try it with CO2. Hopefully you have not damaged anything with the high pressure.

Bob

Hi

You have a nitrogen paintball tank. You want a CO2 tank to do normal beer stuff. Nitrogen is run at significantly higher pressure in the tank than CO2, that's the giveaway.

If you have a normal CO2 regulator it may not be happy at 3,000 psi. Your symptoms indicate that it's not working correctly. I would not toss the regulator until you try it with CO2. Hopefully you have not damaged anything with the high pressure.

Bob

The Tank is a CO2 tank, says it right on the bottle.... I wonder if the regulator just isnt set for that hi of an input?...

I found that moving the kegs, low levels of beer, temperuature changes both is beer and CO2, and some rogue fermentation can cause this issue.

The Tank is a CO2 tank, says it right on the bottle.... I wonder if the regulator just isnt set for that hi of an input?...

Hi

It may say it's a CO2 tank, but if it's reading 3,000 psi, it got filled with nitrogen. CO2 rarely reads much over 1200 psi regardless of how warm things get.

Bob

i will put a gauge on it and see.. but the regulator i bought only has a gause for Low pressure...

Please tell me if I'm wrong. But I have a CO2 regulator that goes up fairly quickly to 60PSI EVEN when the CO2 Tank is turned off, and my hoses is disconnected. Fairly new at kegging and have only experienced this over the last several days. I don't know if it was because I had just filled a tank with new beer set the regulator to 30 pounds put it on my knees and rolled it for about 5 minutes but it started after that. If I do need a regulator what would be a good one to replace it with?
Thanks

Back