Is this a CO2 Tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhucks7

Reaction score
Just bought this for 5bucks but i can find anything that says if it is a CO2 tank or something else. I figured for 5bucks it couldnt hurt to buy it. Anyone got any ideas? (hope this attachment thing works)

SD

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If it's an actual CO2 tank, it should be stamped somewhere in the metal. It doesn't look like the CO2 tank I have.

What should be stamped in the metal? I can find some numbers but they are hard to make out.

SD

The nut on the valve stem makes me think its a nitrogen tank. Nitrogen regulators have a female valve stem that accepts a male regulator fitting. CO2 tanks have a male valve stem that couples with a female regulator fitting.

The liquid knob also would suggest N2.

Just play it safe and take it to a commercial gas retailer, they should be able to tell you what it is. By the looks of it the hydro test is probably out of date and you may just be better off getting a newer co2 tank, but for 5 bucks it was worth a shot either way.

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like its about time to take a little trip to the gas place.

SD

Back