Is this a check valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecovabrewing

Reaction score
This came on a used co2 tank with a IMI Cornelius Inc. regulator. It seems to not let pressure through under 5 psi. I thought it wasn't working until I turned the pressure up. Now that I think about it, it might be a check valve, but I've never seen one like this before. Can someone confirm?

20150103_184057_zps579dc318.jpg

Nothing there looks like a check valve.

The end on your red hose is a typical flare fitting. I'm not sure what the piece of tubing is coming out of your keg fitting... It looks like someone rigged something up instead of using a swivel to connect two female flares.

Can you take a pic down the end of the white tubing?

Keg fittings like that use a flare fitting that has a barb in place of copper tubing you'd normally use in a flare fitting. They do that so that you can disconnect the plastic hose without it twisting around.

Nothing there looks like a check valve.

The end on your red hose is a typical flare fitting. I'm not sure what the piece of tubing is coming out of your keg fitting... It looks like someone rigged something up instead of using a swivel to connect two female flares.

Can you take a pic down the end of the white tubing?

Keg fittings like that use a flare fitting that has a barb in place of copper tubing you'd normally use in a flare fitting. They do that so that you can disconnect the plastic hose without it twisting around.

That makes sense about what they were trying to do. The flare looked like not just a hole, but some type of filter or valve inside. Maybe it is just a flare.

The white tubing is empty and just has the connectors on both sides.

Back