Is there any harm letting a Bavarian Heffe alone in the primary for 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I know (from you guys) that Heffe's are young beers and should be consumed young. But whats the worst that could happen if I leave it alone until after the holidays?

I just don't wanna play with it now.

I just don't wanna play with it now.

Poor hefe....It's like the kid in Janis Ian's song "at 17"

And those whose names were never called
When choosing sides for basketball

What did it ever do to you, you bully?

(Guy gets an IPA almost ready to drink and neglects his hefe now....sheesh, fickle ain't we?):D

The worst that will happen is that it may be clearer than a Heffe should. I guess if you wanted it cloudy you could make sure to give it a swirl to kick the stuff up a bit.

The worst that will happen is that it may be clearer than a Heffe should. I guess if you wanted it cloudy you could make sure to give it a swirl to kick the stuff up a bit.

And if you're going to bottle condition it, I wouldn't even worry about that, since you'll be generating more yeast in the bottle.

And if you're going to bottle condition it, I wouldn't even worry about that, since you'll be generating more yeast in the bottle.

Yep. Plus hefe yeast doesn't flocculate well. I had a hefe in primary for just shy of three weeks; it was still a little cloudy at bottling time. After a week in the bottle (I know, I know, I only chilled one, really!), it's cloudy, beautiful, and on its way to delicious.

So no worries.

Back