Is there an electric controller that...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I’m looking for a 240v electric controller that I can use for my rims tube, boil kettle, and pump.

The ones I have seen online don’t allow you to keep two elements plugged into the controller at the same time. I don’t need both elements to work simultaneously, but I would prefer not to have to plug and unplug elements between the mash and boil. Or, Is that what you do? Plug in the element for the mash tun then swap it over to the boil kettle?

Look at the 30amp panels from eBrewSupply. Those are for running one of two elements at a single time. The 50amp panels allow you to run both elements at the same time (double batching).
https://ebrewsupply.com/collections/30a-control-panels
I have one of the 50amp panels on order. I'm hoping it ships soon, and arrives before Sunday so that I can keep the planned first brew day with it.

You can also message eBrewSupply to get questions answered to make sure you get the correct thing.

I second this
Look at the 30amp panels from eBrewSupply. Those are for running one of two elements at a single time. The 50amp panels allow you to run both elements at the same time (double batching).
https://ebrewsupply.com/collections/30a-control-panels
I have one of the 50amp panels on order. I'm hoping it ships soon, and arrives before Sunday so that I can keep the planned first brew day with it.

You can also message eBrewSupply to get questions answered to make sure you get the correct thing.

I second this. I use an eBrewSupply 30A panel and they are great. They have great support as well.

Waiting to see IF FedEx delivers mine tomorrow or Sunday now. Hoping for tomorrow or early enough Sunday to use it. I'll be finishing the mounting assembly tomorrow for it. I picked the 50A panel so that I have options moving forward. Also got a drop added to feed it.

Waiting to see IF FedEx delivers mine tomorrow or Sunday now. Hoping for tomorrow or early enough Sunday to use it. I'll be finishing the mounting assembly tomorrow for it. I picked the 50A panel so that I have options moving forward. Also got a drop added to feed it.
Awesome! I started with 30A "wire up yourself" option, there is not much to change to convert to 50A so that is on my radar in the future if I want double batching. Love this unit! You'll have to make a post about your brew day if you get it in time.

Awesome! I started with 30A "wire up yourself" option, there is not much to change to convert to 50A so that is on my radar in the future if I want double batching. Love this unit! You'll have to make a post about your brew day if you get it in time.
The panel I have coming is their updated design with the new enclosure (different supplier than a month or two ago now). From what Ryan has told me (and from what I've seen from him) it's virtually identical to what Spike Brewing ships with their systems.

I wish I had just gotten this from the start, and didn't try the other (returned now) panels to do the job. The electrician I had do the outlet work was reasonably priced (did some trading of things I had that he wanted to get the actual cash out to be less). Gotta love the independent electricians out there. Plus the guy is really good at his job (Master Electrician at 22, he's 40 now). IMO, better than the guy that I had do the initial outlet adds when I moved in here. I plan to use him when I move if I need any power added/changed for brewing or my machinery. More likely than not I'll need that done. Especially since I plan to put up a shed to use for brewing and will need proper power in my workshop for machinery I both have now and plan over the coming years.

So will the UniFlex from BruControl. It can be configured to run two kettles off of a 30A connection, and it can be upgraded and expanded. It's also about $500 cheaper than the equivalent eBrewHardware box. When you pair it with the control software and start using the scripting capability, it really is the most advanced and flexible system out there. @BrunDog is the guy that developed it, and he's pretty active here and on the automation forum.

So will the UniFlex from BruControl. It can be configured to run two kettles off of a 30A connection, and it can be upgraded and expanded. It's also about $500 cheaper than the equivalent eBrewHardware box. When you pair it with the control software and start using the scripting capability, it really is the most advanced and flexible system out there. @BrunDog is the guy that developed it, and he's pretty active here and on the automation forum.

That's definitely an option but to be clear the Brew Buddy I is $1400 and to get the closest function, the Uniflex package price including the dual power output, two pump outputs and the software license is $1200. The Brew Buddy also includes two sensors and a dual temp display for two passive temperature monitoring locations. You would need additional I/O on the Uniflex if that's a function you find valuable. Software based systems are infinitely more adaptable to someone that wants to automate in the future but some brewers will also be more content with the immediate setup and tactile feel of a hardware based control box.

I don’t need both elements to work simultaneously, but I would prefer not to have to plug and unplug elements between the mash and boil. Or, Is that what you do? Plug in the element for the mash tun then swap it over to the boil kettle?

I chose to save some $ and do move the plug around w one Auber Cube. Not sure if I'd go this route in retrospect, but is not a problem for me. Also have a second 240V 30 A outlet so I can heat sanitation water while brewing w controller too.

If/when I set up permanently indoors, I'll probably upgrade to a two plug controller.

The Wort Hog EBC-350 will do what you need...and for less than $900 to boot!

Wort Hog™ EBC-350 – Electric Brewing
The EBC-350 is a pretty good design. Uses contactors to make sure element outlets are fully deenergized when the element switches are off, has appropriate internal circuit breakers, and uses an EZBoil (at least for mash & boil element.)

Couple of things to watch out for:
  1. The offer an option for a three wire power cord, which cannot be used with GFCI protection. In my opinion this should never be done, and they shouldn't even offer the option. A three wire power feed also uses the ground as the current return for any unbalanced 120V loads, and this is a code no-no. Depending on how the pump outlets are wired, this unbalanced load current, flowing in the ground wire, could be up to either 1.4A or 2.8A.
  2. There are no "element firing" indicator lamps wired in parallel with the element outlets. Element firing lamps allow you to determine if the SSRs are operating correctly, or have failed. Neither the "output" lights on the PIDs/EZBoils, nor the LEDs on the SSRs provide this information.
Brew on :mug:

Back