Is there a way to make beer with out boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larder

Reaction score
I got it up to about 160 degrees for about 90 minutes. Then my hot plate kept overheating. Is that enough or does it have to boil?

I would say no. How much are water are you trying to boil? Maybe you could do 1 gallon extracts. You need the water to boil to get good job utilization.

You'll have beer. Not sure how it will taste becasue without a boil you won't be able to get all of the hops flavoring and bittering that you'll get with a boil.

You might try 2 gallon batches BIAB and you should be able to boil full amount. Would not need more than 2.9 gallons for a big beer and get 3 six packs.

Last edited by a moderator:
you might want to look into buying/building a heat stick to supplement your hot plate. Just be sure you plug it into a different circuit!!!

That plate is likely too small, capacity wise. And overheating is a sign of worse to follow if you keep pushing it.

How about your kitchen stove? Or has SWMBO banished you from the kitchen already?

heat sticks are so much more efficient than hot plates, I would make one. Or just mount two 1500w elements into your pot and run them on different circuts. you could easially do 5+ gal batches this way.

You can definitely get away without boiling all of it at once, and only need to boil a gallon or so for the hops. Yes, I know there will be less oils released in a smaller boil batch probably because the oils are more concentrated. It will be good beer.

Wort is boiled to remove DMS (dimethyl sulphides) and release the hop oils. Secondarily, it kills almost all the bacteria (I am sure there are some extremophiles that will survive.)

If you use malt extract then you don't need to boil to remove DMS. You still need to boil to get the hop oils but you only need to boil some of the wort with the hops in it. Sugars in the wort helps extract the oils.

Tap water must be boiled to kill the bugs. Do it a gallon at a time.
I have successfully used spring water additions without boiling it - YMMV.

You can do it in steps.
Boil tap water a gallon at a time. Keep the pre-boiled water aside for use in the next steps.

Make "tea" by steeping any specialty grains in a gallon at about 140 degrees F
Add to the fermenter
Dissolve the extract in a gallon of warm pre-boiled water.
Add to the fermenter
Boil the hops in a gallon of wort or use liquid hops extract.
Add to the fermenter

And you are ready for yeast.

Last edited:
Maybe he's brewing in a dorm room?

For a cheap and easy dorm room drunk, I recommend "welches grape juice wine" or "Tree Top apple juice hard cider".

No boiling or fancy equipment needed. Just drop some yeast in the bottle, put a condom over the lid hole, and wait a couple weeks. :D

Ah, college....

Lol I've already got a 5 gallon batch of welches going. I'm just going to try to boil a gallon at a time tonight. Hopefully it hasn't gone bad by now

You can definitely get away without boiling all of it at once, and only need to boil a gallon or so for the hops. Yes, I know there will be less oils released in a smaller boil batch probably because the oils are more concentrated. It will be good beer.

Wort is boiled to remove DMS (dimethyl sulphides) and release the hop oils. Secondarily, it kills almost all the bacteria (I am sure there are some extremophiles that will survive.)

If you use malt extract then you don't need to boil to remove DMS. You still need to boil to get the hop oils but you only need to boil some of the wort with the hops in it. Sugars in the wort helps extract the oils.

Tap water must be boiled to kill the bugs. Do it a gallon at a time.

I have successfully used spring water additions without boiling it - YMMV.

You can do it in steps.

Boil tap water a gallon at a time. Keep the pre-boiled water aside for use in the next steps.

Make "tea" by steeping any specialty grains in a gallon at about 140 degrees F

Add to the fermenter

Dissolve the extract in a gallon of warm pre-boiled water.

Add to the fermenter

Boil the hops in a gallon of wort or use liquid hops extract.

Add to the fermenter

And you are ready for yeast.

Wow. I'm going to do this

Jamil did a no boil black IPA for TBN's Brewcaster Challenge tournament last year. It was pre hopped extract and supposedly was good except for the dry hop choice. Not sure of the water he used, but I seem to remember him saying it was hose water.

It's definitely doable.

Latest posts

Back