Is there a way to analyze grain mill particle size and distribution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yirg

Reaction score
And if so, is the data useful to adjust the mill for best efficiency/taste?

On a related note, there's software that allows users to analyze particle size and distribution of ground coffee, as well as hardware (sieves) to measure this. Anything similar for grain?

The hardware sieves are what I have seen used at breweries.

The set you linked would work, although those that I have seen at breweries had a brass ring and were circular and maybe 10" in diameter.

buy A set of sieves. They’re not cheap. check MBAA specs for the sieve numbers and ratios for each.

Seems a bit excessive for home brew. Gap size is typically sufficient in terms of QA at this level.

As already explained above.

There's a video explanation at this page under the title "Grist Separator - Malt Crush."

I don't see how a sieve is going to work very effectively with the husks in there. They would tend to block up your sieve I would think. You might get some things to fall through, but it would not give you results similar to a coffee grind.

IMHO you would be far better off picking a gap that you will think works for your system, giving it a try, and if you don't get the efficiency you want tighten the gap for your next brew. If your mash gets stuck widen the gap next time.

Sometimes simpler is good enough.

IMHO you would be far better off picking a gap that you will think works for your system, giving it a try, and if you don't get the efficiency you want tighten the gap for your next brew. If your mash gets stuck widen the gap next time.

Sometimes simpler is good enough.

On second thought, this does sound simple and effective. I think I'll shelve the idea of in-depth analysis for now. Thanks for commenting!

Back