Is There A "Too Long"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
I've had my second brew (a clone of Pete's Wicked Ale extract kit from AHB) in the fermentor for 19 days. I don't use a secondary. Since this brew required no dry hopping, it's just been sealed up in the bucket all this time. Is there a point where it's past the point of being good for bottling? I plan to bottle tomorrow, probably, if I have time. That's the issue...having time... Anyway, is there such a thing as being too long in primary? If so, where do you draw that line?
Thanks!

You will be fine. The beer can sit on the yeast cake for a month or more before having off flavors.

- magno

EDIT: Dont take this the wrong way, no offense intended, but if you dont use a secondary or keg yet, then why list them in your sig?

Why don't you use a secondary?
Spend the time to rack your beer into another fermenter and then, if for some reason you don't have time to bottle, it isn't sitting on all that trub and dormant yeast.

I would say you are OK at 19 days but I wouldn't let it go too much longer.

magno said:
You will be fine. The beer can sit on the yeast cake for a month or more before having off flavors.

- magno

EDIT: Dont take this the wrong way, no offense intended, but if you dont use a secondary or keg yet, then why list them in your sig?

Good question! It's incentive for me to get a carboy for secondary and to eventually start kegging.

RichBrewer said:
Why don't you use a secondary?
Spend the time to rack your beer into another fermenter and then, if for some reason you don't have time to bottle, it isn't sitting on all that trub and dormant yeast.

I would say you are OK at 19 days but I wouldn't let it go too much longer.

Ah, differing opinions. I like that. I have a fermentation bucket and a bottling bucket. I guess I could rack to the bottling bucket, clean and sanitize the fermentation bucket, and rack back to that as a secondary. But I really want to get a carboy. Maybe after the holiday finances settle a bit... If I don't have one by the time I do my next batch, I'll try the back and forth method.

You might give that a shot. That sounds like a PITA to me though, I think I'd hold out for a carboy. My opinion anyway.

Back