Is there a Standard modification to 'kits'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr0cess

Reaction score
In particular, I want to try a kit that I saw in my local homebrew store but was put off by its low alcohol. The kit advertised 4.5-5 for a Canadian Ale (or maybe Lager, I forget but the 'Canadian' intrigued me as I enjoy watching hockey with a Candian friend in town) and that is just too low to take to a Candians house. Is there a standard modification say throw in X more dry malt extract and Y more hops (to balance the flavor I assume) per every 5 gallon batch and you can expect .5-1% ABV increase? I am reading through How to Brew but don't want to skip around a lot to try and answer the question and forget what else I am trying to learn.

Thanks
-dylan.

From what I have seen. Extract with a 1.044 potential, most extracts, should give you about .009 gravity points per pound.
Example, 8lbs of dry extract should result in an OG of about 1.070.
That is of course my humble opinion!

kevin, when i put 8# of DME into beersmith (it's potential is 1.045), and the program gives me an OG of 1.059.

to the OP, i would urge you to check around the different calculators and brewing programs for help on calculating what to add to get a specific ABV.

I have noticed that Austin Homebrew provides an option to add a "1% alcohol boost".

Here is the verbiage:
"Add 1% alcohol to your beer without compromising its flavor. Brewvint Alcohol Boost is 55% maltose/45% glucose, a very fermentable mix with little flavor contribution."

Not sure if that helps.

Would the easiest way to increase ABV to add a pound of DME?

Also I'm looking at a beer recipe for Blueberry Ale and the recipe suggests using a gallon of blueberry juice as part of the wort. Would the sugars in the blueberry juice add to the ABV when done? I assume yes.

Anything below 4.5% is reserved for light beers, I like my real beer.

In particular, I want to try a kit that I saw in my local homebrew store but was put off by its low alcohol. The kit advertised 4.5-5 for a Canadian Ale (or maybe Lager, I forget but the 'Canadian' intrigued me as I enjoy watching hockey with a Candian friend in town) and that is just too low to take to a Candians house.

Obviously do what you want, but bear in mind that most mainstream Canadian beers (e.g. Molson, Moosehead, and Labatt's major offerings, plus O'Keefe, Kokanee, Oland Export, Carling Black Label, Sleeman Draught, etc) are right there in the 4.5-5% ABV range. Even the "IPA" from Alexander Keith's is 5.0% ABV.

Be aware that making a lager is different than an ale (you need a much lower fermenting temperature) so that's an important distinction if you plan to brew it.

The kit should be about 3.75 pounds. You can add 2.5# DME or 3# LME to get in the 5% range. You can safely add a 1/2# of cane sugar with the DME/LME and get 5.5%+. Or skip the sugar and drop it down to a 4.5 gallon batch.

You can manipulate the kit but don't mix it with just a kilo or more of sugar and think it's going to be a good brew.

Don't think it has to be strong to be good. The past few months I've been making 3.2 (4% abv) beer. My goal is to get a 3.2 line up to keep as house brews.

Latest posts

Back