Is there a good way to imitate a hop back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spames

Reaction score
I have a recipie that calls for using a hop back for everything except the bittering hops. Is there a good method to imitate this process without actually using a hop back?

I was thinking of turning of burner, and throwing in a nylon bag of the hops, and stirring while the immersion chiller does it's job.

Or should I just add all the hops that are to be used in the hop back in the remaining minute or 2 of the boil?

Thanks

Spames said:
I was thinking of turning of burner, and throwing in a nylon bag of the hops, and stirring while the immersion chiller does it's job.

Many home brewers do that. It is called a "knockout," "flameout," or "zero minute" addition. The idea is to simulate, to some extent, a hopback. It won't give the intensity of a hopback, but it is as simple as cutting the fire and dumping in hops.

TL

I've tried (hot side) whirlpool additions in my last few batches to good success. I'm not sure that it's been all that different than 0 minute additions though.

Does anyone know what the principle behind a hopback is? I've heard some wise folk singing its praises, but don't quite get what it does that a flame-out addition doesn't do.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Why not make one out of a mason jar and some copper pipe. Google DIY Hopback.

I'm not sure of this, but I think the idea of the hop back requires you pump the hot wort through the hop back as you are bringing it down to pitching temps.

I use an immersion chiller, so mine wouldn't go through the hop back until it was at pitching temps on it's way into the fermenter.

Looks like I was on the right train of thought though with just throwing it in at the end, I'll check out the zero-minute stuff -- should I add more hops if it's a zero minute addition? I guess the best thing to do is try it first, and adjust later.

Right, a hopback is normally in the line between the kettle & the chiller. The high temperature and flow rate aids in oil extraction. Immediate chilling limits the losses. A flame-out add is about as close as a home brewer can get, without building a hopback.

I'd start with the same amount of hops.

If you do it post chiller the results are more like dry hopping or randalling.

You can make your own using a small stainless container and put a filter material between the hopback outlet and the hops. It should be sealed so it will not overflow. It is placed between the boiler and the chiller so hot wort being chilled can take advantage of the hop essence and some of the oils and then the chiller locks in the essence into the wort.

Back