Is the secondary even worth it this time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
So I have a recipe that mostly calls for bottle conditioning. Recipe states to rack from primary to secondary after two days. Then from the secondary to bottles after three more days, so clearly five days total. Is it really worth my time getting the secondary dirty? I can't imagine there will be much clarifiying work done in a mere three days in the secondary.

Thoughts?

I would love to know what you're bottling 5 days after brew day. That seems unbelievably fast. To be honest, I don't see what purpose a secondary would serve at all if it's just being used for 3 days, 2 days after brew day. You're likely not going to get it any clearer in 3 days.

Heck, fermentation can lag up 72 hours with some yeasts, you'd have it racked out of primary before the yeast even got to work with that time line.

I may be missing something here, maybe some type of technique or brew style I'm not aware of, but I'd still strongly suggest you reconsider the time line on that. A solid month in primary generally seems a good widely accepted standard. Or the old 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary 3 weeks in bottles method.

I would think that the yeast would still be doing their thing at 5 days. I'd let it sit in the primary until fermentation is complete, then rack to a secondary for a week or so to clarify then bottle and let condition for a month or so.

Are you adding anything to the beer in secondary (fruit, oak, dry hop)? If not, leave it in the primary for 2-4 weeks, then bottle.

I only use a secondary if adding something to the beer or bulk aging for a long time. Using it to clarify your beer is not necessary. When you transfer it, you're stirring up everything again & putting it back in suspension which is the opposite of your goal.

So I have a recipe that mostly calls for bottle conditioning. Recipe states to rack from primary to secondary after two days. Then from the secondary to bottles after three more days, so clearly five days total. Is it really worth my time getting the secondary dirty? I can't imagine there will be much clarifiying work done in a mere three days in the secondary.

Thoughts?

i'd say not to follow those instructions for fermentation, they're not right. at least a week in primary, 2-3 would be better. secondary's optional, but a beer will clear the same in primary given enough time. i personally only use a secondary for post fermentation additions or bulk aging.

Are you adding anything to the beer in secondary (fruit, oak, dry hop)? If not, leave it in the primary for 2-4 weeks, then bottle.

I only use a secondary if adding something to the beer or bulk aging for a long time. Using it to clarify your beer is not necessary. When you transfer it, you're stirring up everything again & putting it back in suspension which is the opposite of your goal.

this is exactly what i do. unless i'm going to add something or if i made a huge imperial ipa with pellets and there is a ton of debris, i wouldn't rack off into another fermentor. I hear brewers say, and i tend to agree, that the yeast work better and help clarify the beer if left in the primary.

I've kinda been thinking the same thing as whats on here. It seems to go against what I know about brewing. Now, that being said, I've never left anything in the primary for a month. I'm a relative newbie, but I've never even heard of that.

I've kinda been thinking the same thing as whats on here. It seems to go against what I know about brewing. Now, that being said, I've never left anything in the primary for a month. I'm a relative newbie, but I've never even heard of that.

it's pretty common. i primary almost all my beers for 3+ weeks unless i'm trying to turn one around faster. i regularly leave a brew in the primary vessel for a month or more. it's been found that many brews benefit from the extra time on the yeast. it allows them to condition and it allows the yeast some extra time to clean up after fermentation. i'd say a minimum of 2 weeks in primary for most beers.

Agreed. I do two week primary as the very minimum. It's really more like 3-6 weeks, depending on the OG and whether or not the yeast will need time to clean-up or so complex flavors have time to meld together.

Same here,it can take 3-5 weeks depending on gravity,for mine to reach FG. 3-4 weeks on average,including 3-7 days time to clean up & settle out more. No way is primary gunna be done in 2 days. That's the weirdest time line I've ever heard of.

I think it depends on the recipe and obviously style. I used to brew a brown ale recipe that I got out of one of Charlie Papazian's books. From kettle to bottle in 2 weeks, sometimes less. It tasted great and was easy to drink. Not every beer needs to sit in the primary for 4+ weeks.

When you transfer it, you're stirring up everything again & putting it back in suspension which is the opposite of your goal.

If you don't have to move your carboy around and use a racking cane held above the trub you won't be transferring anything but beer. What little particulates that may have been in suspension will settle out in the secondary. Most of the time I only primary, but if its a light colored beer and I want good clarity I will secondary for awhile to let everything settle. (I do usually primary for 3 to 4 weeks so the yeast have time to work their magic)

Then you haven't been doing your duty and reading every third post on HBT for the past year or two!!! ;)

Seriously though, it seems like a day doesn't go by that I don't either read someone suggesting someone else give a beer 3-4 weeks in primary or that I don't make the suggestion myself. I've been doing it for a while now, and have definitely seen good results from it.

I am in the minority. I know everyone primaries for a month and then they are done. I've always used a secondary. I primary on average for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, rack to a secondary. Let it clear (usually through a cold crash) and keg. I do this because when I learned, I always used a secondary. I also do it because I have four 6.5 gallon carboy's (primaries), and three 5 gallon carboy's (secondaries). I do it so I can get my primaries back to brew some more.

Seriously though, it seems like a day doesn't go by that I don't either read someone suggesting someone else give a beer 3-4 weeks in primary or that I don't make the suggestion myself. I've been doing it for a while now, and have definitely seen good results from it.

HBT definition of the day.....Pipeline (pipe-line) Having a continuous supply of homebrew in various stages of fermentation or conditioning. A proper pipeline will ensure you can ferment for the proper time and not have the fear of running out of beer.
Having friends come over have been know to break a pipline, but the fix is relatively easy and fun. Just brew more beer.:mug:

At this point I don't touch a beer until it's had at least 3 weeks in primary. Then I'll take a gravity reading. Wait another 3-4 days, and do it again. That's really the only way you know if your beer is done or not. And I've found since I started just leaving my beer in primary longer, it's coming out much, much clearer than before.

Back