Is that yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
Washed and collected wlp830, lager yeast this morning. This is after about a half hour of settling.

Looks more chunky and green than I thought it would. There’s zero dry hops in this beer. Had a very clean whirlpool with minimal break material going in.

Thoughts?

By the way, the beer tastes amazing

Attachments

• CA272868-2736-4A83-A06C-F193AD57E6E9.jpeg
    CA272868-2736-4A83-A06C-F193AD57E6E9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
You do have yeast in the jars but it also looks like you collected the trub. This thread will help for yeast harvesting and skipping the washing/rinsing.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/simple-yeast-storage-procedure-with-photos.579350/

My procedure is to swirl up the contents of the carboy after the beer has been racked. Lay the carboy on its side for 15 to 20 minutes. Pour off two pints when a thin clear line of the residual beer can be seen.

resized475.jpg

I do strain out the hops and break material when pouring into the fermentor.

resized479.jpg

Yeah, so I’m doing the same thing basically except out of a brew bucket. Have had great success with the process I use. Except this time the yeast had a lot of trub as well.

I harvested 2 different batches of beer at the same time with the same process. Pic below is from the 2nd beer.

Other pic is what it looks like after allowed to drop clear.

Wondering if there’s something different about harvesting lager yeast from others?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
WLP830 is some good yeast. Definitely don't waste it.
If you use a good ale yeast, you can crop at high krausen and put the collected yeast in a starter to cultivate. This way you get some healthy yeast and the trub/hops can be scraped away to some extent ... I've found the Hefeweizen yeast is very good for this as it's very active and thick.

Last edited:
So at this point, can I dump the three jars into a larger gallon size container, add more preboiled water and wash the trub out then recollect?

Seems like a sinitation dice roll.

Or should I just pitch it as is. There’s very little if any hops in the mixture.

Latest posts

Back