is that honey? or is it corn syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suddarth2

Reaction score
If you're buying honey from the supermarket, STOP. Chances are, you're actually using high frutose corn syrup. Almost all imported honey has been processed and dilluted with corn syrup. Buy local and be certain it's genuine.

This is a pretty good explaination of the situation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/most-store-bought-honey-i_b_1118564.html

If there's anyone around the St. Louis area, I sell Local Raw Honey in bulk. Unless it's cut, Honey never goes bad. So you don't have to worry about using it right away.

I always look at the producer name and try to buy as local as possible. If its cut with corn syrup doesn't FDA require that it be listed on the ingredients list?

I think its more of a Chinese under the table cutting that's going on. But yes, if it wasnt being done under the table it would have to be labled as such. Time to pull up my sample image.
It will read "HONEY flavored syrup"

honey1.jpg

The only requirement the FDA has is that the product must contain pollen in order to be labeled honey. That's it. there are no other stipulations.

These are suddarth2's only posts. The first trying to sling honey on here. The second a clear falsehood.

As AZ_IPA already stated: filtered honey will be clear of pollen....

Here are the FDA documents substantiating AZ's argument.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3011895

Also, if you are buying anything that says "honey flavored syrup" and thinking it is honey, you get what is coming to you. I don't see eye to eye with that article. I can't speak for everywhere, but I can say with certainty that the local stores here carry more local honey than not.

But the original argument stands to a degree, buy local, bee happy.

Latest posts

Back