Is starter okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markley

Reaction score
So i made a 1L starter from WL001 about 2 weeks ago which has been sitting in the fridge (foil covered flask). I did have some spillover issues when i made it, but everything looks good as far as I can tell. I would like to brew this evening and was wondering if the starter would still be okay to use. I am brewing a 5 gal batch of IPA.
Thanks

If 1 liter was big enough for the gravity of the beer it should be OK. You will have lost some viability, but not enough to cause great concern. You could make up a little wort and add it to energize the yeast. If you go that route do it asap and leave it going until you finish brewing and cooling.

If 1 liter was big enough for the gravity of the beer it should be OK. You will have lost some viability, but not enough to cause great concern. You could make up a little wort and add it to energize the yeast. If you go that route do it asap and leave it going until you finish brewing and cooling.

+1

Sent from the Commune

It should be fine. you can decant the spent wort off the top of the yeast and pitch. I'd probably let it warm up to room temp while brewing too.

That being said, I don't usually wait that long with a starter. I usually make my starter with the idea I will be using it within 24-72 hours. I doubt waiting 2 weeks hurts anything, but most people don't wait that long as the yeast have to go dormant given that much time. Pitching active yeast is better as they go straight to work. Mine usually are producing CO2 within a couple hours done this way.

Thanks all! So could i just boil up a little DME, cool, and add to the flask to re-energize? If so, I guess i'd just decant to make room for this?

I would use as is as long as the cell count is okay. Pull it out of the fridge, decant most of the liquid, and let it warm up to pitching temp. I wouldn't bother adding boiled DME to the starter, especially if you're going to be pitching it today anyways.

Back