Is starsan safe on plastic brew gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
I read description on northern brewer site and it says to keep contact with plastic to a minimum .From you guys experience does it damage plastic that is soaked in it ?

I always soak my better bottles and buckets, siphons and brew paddles in star san and it doesn't cause a single problem I am aware of. I wouldn't store it in your bucket but I store mixed star san in plastic water jugs. If it damaged plastic how could it come FULL STRENGTH in a plastic container?

I use plastic fermenters,paddles,tubing,etc & never a problem. i store my Starsan & PBW in plastic one gallon SunnyD jugs as well. I just don't leave things to soak in it for extended periods. 30 seconds to a minute is fine.

I think as long as it's not prolonged exposure you are OK. I store mine in Lowes food grade buckets for months at a time. I've never had a problem, but they are thicker plastic.

I used to use milk jugs, but starsan will definitely eat through them in a few weeks. I had some pinhole leaks form and it made a bit of a mess.

I've had Starsan last in my spray bottle for months,just topping it off now & then. I also keep the nozzel think closed as well so no air gets in. I switched from water/milk jugs to thicker SunnyD 1 gallon jugs for my mixed Starsan & PBW. Def last longer with no leaks.

How many times can you reuse a mixed up batch of starsan for example if I mix up starsan in a 5 gallon bucket and then sanitize my equipment for that day can I use same mix for the next day or following week or should I mix up fresh batch each brew session ?also when using it or coming In contact do I have have to wear some sort of gloves or is it safe on skin?

rave808 said:
How many times can you reuse a mixed up batch of starsan for example if I mix up starsan in a 5 gallon bucket and then sanitize my equipment for that day can I use same mix for the next day or following week or should I mix up fresh batch each brew session ?also when using it or coming I contact do I have have to wear some sort of gloves or is it safe on skin?

I've stored it for months in a 5 gallon bucket and have used it 10-15 times between brewing and bottling. It is fine to get on your hands I just rinse frequently.

How many times can you reuse a mixed up batch of starsan for example if I mix up starsan in a 5 gallon bucket and then sanitize my equipment for that day can I use same mix for the next day or following week or should I mix up fresh batch each brew session ?also when using it or coming I contact do I have have to wear some sort of gloves or is it safe on skin?

Star San is effective as long as the pH is 3.0 or lower. I use pH test strips found in wine making supplies. I have stored Starsan in gallon water jugs for months. I still use it even after it turns cloudy. Minerals in the water will do this. It does not affect the pH.

If you should get undiluted Starsan on your skin or clothes it should be rinsed immediately. Blue t-shirts will have bright orange spots where undiluted Starsan makes contact. I don't use gloves with the solution. I also use it as a hand sanitizer when handling brewing equipment post boil.

I have had a funnel damaged from to long of exposure to Star San solution. Can't remember how long it was in the solution. The bottom of the funnel had some color leached out and was a little brittle. Not all plastics are created equal. Still using it though.

I store my bottling bucket with some Starsan solution inside. So far it does not seem to have had any effect after 6 years.

My spray bottle is one that can be used for spraying pesticides which can be acidic or basic. Have been using the same one for 5 or 6 years.

How will you know when it's not effective anymore other that having infected beer
Star San costs about $0.50 per ounce:
http://morebeer.com/products/star-san-32-oz.html?gclid=CPaO34brlrsCFW9nOgod0BIA9A

I probably use about 3/4 oz every time I brew a 5 gal batch. In other words I mix up a fresh batch of Star San with each batch of beer. I also fill a spray bottle with the fresh batch. I'd rather not hang onto old Star San in an attempt to save a few pennies at the expense of possibly ruining an entire batch of beer. This way I know it will be effective. Have never had an infection. *knocks on wood* JMHO

How will you know when it's not effective anymore other that having infected beer

It should be effective for at least 3 months. Usually it starts getting dirty before it is no longer effective.

I have stored Starsan in gallon water jugs for months. I still use it even after it turns cloudy. Minerals in the water will do this. It does not affect the pH.

If you use distilled water to mix your star san up it will never turn cloudy.

I'm not 100% on this, but I have heard others say that it will last longer if mixed with distilled water, rather than just normal tap water. That being said, I don't know if it's really cost effective to go out and buy distilled water, or to just make a fresh batch and use a little more StarSan?! Both would have their benefits I guess...but again, I'm not 100% sure / haven't put this theory to the test myself. Anybody have experience with using distilled vs. tap?

Cheers!

My tubing gets a film on it when stored/soaked in a diluted starsan solution for a long time (24+ hours). I am unsure what exactly is going on, whether it is disintegrating the tubing or just creating a film on the tubing.

I am using a section of vinyl hose for a blow off tube into a cup of starsan, it has causes some discoloring of the tube that has been submerged in starsan for over a week, but I don't intend for this tube to ever come in contact with my beer. All other plastics it comes incxontact with, from my spray bottle to buckets to siphon, seem unaffected but I don't store them submerged.

You only need to soak things in Starsan for 15 seconds or so,but they legally have to say 30 seconds to one minute. so they don't need to soak till a film builds up.

Star San is really just a blend of two acids (and some surfactants). It works by breaking cellular walls with the low pH. Most plastics are not affected by weak acids, which this definitely qualifies as.

The only thing I avoid using Star San with is my aluminum brew kettle. It will eat away the oxide layer that prevents aluminum from leeching into the brew. The oxide layer can be reformed however pretty easily.

I am just now using up my first small bottle of Star San and I got nearly 2 years use out of it. I keep a jug mixed up with it (the high quality milk jugs can work, but the thinner ones do not last). I generally add a few cups to whatever I am sanitizing and make sure every surface gets well coated. Dump and wait a few minutes before using. Never an infection.

I do not reuse the solution, although I guess you could. Just seems like an unnecessary risk if I am spending $8 every 2 years.

Back