Is SS Brewtech going to release an EBIAB electric system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards getting the Unibrau setup, but was looking at SS's site just now and saw that electric systems were coming. The controllers seem geared towards a multiple vessel steup and i don't see any mention of a kettle/basket setup. That plate chiller looks AMAZING btw!
I'm holding off on ordering anything until this is released.

SS Brewtech announced their Ekettle product line at Homebrew Con back in July. At the time they estimated 90 days before product roll out which puts the announcement at any time now. Their site lists three controllers and a third that will come later. The first controller, the 1v can be used for two vessels but can also be used in a a BIAB set up. I have heard very little about kettles and baskets. I'm hoping they have complete, turnkey systems. I was very ready to buy a two vessel system from High Gravity Brewing: https://www.highgravitybrew.com/sto...ric-Wort-Hog-15-gallon-2-Vessel-445p10097.htm
But I've held off waiting to see what SS Brewtech does.

I'm gonna wait to see what they come out with.
I really like the Unibrau system, but the SS stuff looks promising.
The 1v controller CAN do an ebiab, but then you'd be paying for more controller than you need. Seems like their stuff is all 240v.

Ss Brewtech is going to be releasing the first round of electric components in roughly 4 weeks.

They will release their eKettle and no more than 2 controllers. They may in the future release a basket for a complete system, but that will not happen in the first round of products coming in 4 weeks

They've been saying that they're close to releasing something for more than a year. If you don't mind waiting, no big deal. But if you are looking to buy soon, then I would consider products on the market that you can actually buy. :)

@NewJersey
Something else to consider is building your system piecemeal. If you already have a pump and chiller, then a lot of times, piecemeal will be cheaper. I ended up going with an Auber CUBE controller, a Grounded Brewing kettle and basket, and ULWD 5500W element and fittings from BrewHardware.

I almost went with the Unibrau but my big hangup on it was the size. I really wanted a 15 gallon kettle so I could do big ABV beers if I wanted and not worry about boilovers or boil intensity. If Unibrau was 15 gallon, it would have been a no-brainer. The way they integrated the basket and kettle and putting the TC fitting on the basket was awesome.

I know it's already been mentioned that their current system isn't ebiab, but I just checked on their site and preorders go live today (Oct 12) at noon (PST) for the 10 gallon setup. On the same page, they mention that a SVBS (single vessel brewing system) is going to be available in Spring, 2019, and that more details will be coming.

I also noticed that last night. What you get for $949 seems like a decent deal.
I was dissapointed to see no word on the chiller.
I would really love to see what the svbs includes.
I read that the 1v is a pid for that beautiful inconel 5000w element. I had hoped that it also offered "manual" control of the element. (non pid all the way on being able to manipulate the percentage of power manually)

the 2V controller systems are priced surprisingly well. $2250 for two fully-welded electric kettles, insulated mash tun, and the controller seems more than fair.

I’ll be keeping my eye out for news on the single vessel brew system also. If I were to buy now, I’d probably go with the Unibrau, but some user reports about it leaving behind grain material in the kettle after the mash have me hesitant to pull to plug on one. In theory, it seems like the fancy mash basket would offer some advantages over a simple stainless mesh basket, but I wonder if it also comes with it’s own set of issues in practice. Just have to hope their Spring 2019 estimate isn’t like their Spring 2018 estimate for the release of the electric equipment that just became available to preorder...

looks lower profile than the Blichmann one and higher Watts.

And it looks like its greater surface area than the standard 5500w ripple element everyone else uses. I may be wrong though.

I like how they thought through the placement of the temp probe in relation to the heating element. I don't know if they did it correctly or not though, but hopefully they tested it out in advance.

And it looks like its greater surface area than the standard 5500w ripple element everyone else uses. I may be wrong though.

I like how they thought through the placement of the temp probe in relation to the heating element. I don't know if they did it correctly or not though, but hopefully they tested it out in advance.

I don't know if I like that or not actually now that I look at it. It looks like the temperature probe and heating element are a single unit so you need to replace the whole thing if one component goes out.

I also don't like that they dont include a pump at that price. With a PID and a 5500 Watt element not having a means to recirculate seems like an oversight. It would stratify pretty quick, especially since it's only a 5 gallon system.

I don't know if I like that or not actually now that I look at it. It looks like the temperature probe and heating element are a single unit so you need to replace the whole thing if one component goes out.

I also don't like that they dont include a pump at that price. With a PID and a 5500 Watt element not having a means to recirculate seems like an oversight. It would stratify pretty quick, especially since it's only a 5 gallon system.

Yeah, it does look like a nice, clean design, but if the element or temp probe needs to be replaced, it’s going to be a much pricier repair than with a system built with standard off the shelf components. That being said, Ss Brewtech took good care of me as a customer the only time I’ve had an issue with one of their products, so I’m not necessarily going to let that steer me away from the system.

Regarding the pump, I think we just have to wait for all the details (again) for the single vessel system that they’re planning to release in the spring next year. That should be a complete system, whereas this is just a kettle and controller probably targeted towards someone who already has some of the other components or who doesn’t want to wait that long for the pumps, basket, fittings, etc. and just wants to get brewing. I’d only consider it an oversight if they hadn’t already announced that a complete all-in-one system based on the same kettle and controller was already in the works.

I want to see what their pricing is when they release a full "kit"
i basically wanna see em knockoff the unibrau.
i don't see their plate chiller mentioned anymore. that looked REALLY good imo

Did anyone end up getting an electric setup? I’m eyeing the V2 system.

I’ve seen a few on here but not many. I’m in analysis paralysis mode and getting tired of debating myself on the V1 system. I’ve got an electrician coming out on Thu to give me a quote on wiring up a 240v 30 amp circuit. Provided this is somewhat reasonable, I’m buying the thing.

Did anyone end up getting an electric setup? I’m eyeing the V2 system.

I purchased the 1v system and really like it. I'm curious as to what they will add to their actual "BIAB" system. Looks like a wider top and something added to the bottom of the kettle. Hopefully they can be added to the 1v, if it's something needed.

I've seen a decent number of 2V systems on the Ss facebook user group. People seem to be happy with them.

As for the "SVBS", they suggested their goal is to release late spring. I recall hearing somewhere that the system would not be compatible with the eKettles based on component designs, though I don't know if that has changed.

Brew Supply just hiked their price on the Unibrau to $1,269 - a $100 hike...

Wondering when Spring 2019 will come...

Yeah, lol
Is it spring yet?

No surprise really - going from their e-brewing equipment release schedule (which was estimated to release in Spring 2018), we'll probably see more pictures and details on the system this summer and first orders starting in the fall.

Back