Is sanding a Sanke Keg hazardous?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be wise to wear a dust mask. SS isn't toxic, but you still don't want little particles of it (and sandpaper) getting into your lungs. Also, eye protection is a good idea.

There has been a really big shift across all trades (house painting to welding) to not breath vapors, fumes or dust. A lot of it is from learning about the effects to the lungs from breathing asbestos to sniffing paint pens.

The effects on the lungs are different, however both are still bad for you. Wet sanding knocks down the metal dust, or wear a P95 rated respirator. I have a 3M 7500 mask with 2091 filter cartridges. They are actually P100 (even better than P95). I wear mine when I do work in the garage that makes any sort of dust.

Well i hit my keg with a disc sander and 120 then 240 grit, no mask, yesterday. I was outside but what a ******* i am. Theres so many blogs and YouTube videos about doing just that that i didnt give it a second thought, not that that's an excuse. Im going to hand sand with 320 tomorrow and ill wear a mask. I really just wanted to get the dirt and stickers off but as soon as i started i wished i hadn't.

Metal fume fever is often from welding - some of the metals (zinc, etc) get vaporized and gets breathed in. Sanding has its own share of risks but much easier to deal with- masks, etc.

Well i hit my keg with a disc sander and 120 then 240 grit, no mask, yesterday. I was outside but what a ******* i am. Theres so many blogs and YouTube videos about doing just that that i didnt give it a second thought, not that that's an excuse. Im going to hand sand with 320 tomorrow and ill wear a mask. I really just wanted to get the dirt and stickers off but as soon as i started i wished i hadn't.

Dirt and stickers? Wouldn't it have just been quicker and easier to use a solvent like WD-40 then soapy water for the dirt and oils? Or are you wanting a nice shiny keg like many of those keggles I have seen?

Dirt and stickers? Wouldn't it have just been quicker and easier to use a solvent like WD-40 then soapy water for the dirt and oils? Or are you wanting a nice shiny keg like many of those keggles I have seen?

Yeah solvent probably would have been easier! It had like some tar on it though, it had been outside for awhile. No, I don't care if it's shiny. But it does look decent now.

Back