Is proper bottle conditioning more likely to lead to a yeasty taste than kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've done a lot of bottle conditioning and haven't noticed yeasty flavours (except for in my early days of brewing when I underpitched, fermented too warm etc), although I've only made quite flavourful styles like hoppy pale ales and porters. If I make something very lightly flavoured like a pilsner or pale lager, will bottle conditioning have a significant negative effect on that in comparison to kegging?

With my IPAs being 90% pale malt and 10% light crystal, I can get virtually commercial beer clarity in the glass after 4 weeks in the bottle with 2 days cold conditioning with a careful pour if I use a highly flocculant yeast with gelatin.

By bottle conditioning, I'm assuming you are mainly referring to natural carbonation in the bottle. That process basically adds more food to the beer so that the sleepy yeast in suspension will wake up, convert that sugar and produce CO2.

I suppose this could result in slightly more yeast through reproduction but it still will settle out. Even with this hypothetical additional yeast, I'd say that its unlikely to result in a more yeasty taste than kegging.

Back