Is oxydation a concern with distilling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
I mashed on the grains and when I went to transfer the liquid out my spigot clogged. I'm thinking of dumping it into another bucket and straining it through my BIAB bag. My question- is oxidation bad when it is going to be distilled in the next step?

Or- do I put some CO2 in my empty bucket, strain the mash into it, then add some sugar to restart fermentation and hopefully eat up some of that oxygen?

As I'm typing this, I also thought I could put my auto siphon in my BIAB and transfer that way.

I'm still curious on my oxidation question though.

Distillation beer is more forgiving, in Scotland some distilleries do open fermentation, so I don’t see any problems there. I too don’t put airlock on my carboy and simply use clingfilm wrap.

Empirical observations inform us that distilled spirits are much more storage stable than beer. I assume that is because most of the compounds in beer that react with oxygen to cause staling do not make it into the distilled product.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back