Is one paquet of yeast enough ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RasMouSein

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good day to all !!!

This will be my 5th batch. And my first Porter.
My Question is should I make a starter (never done one), rehydrate 1 paquet of yeast, or two paquet of yeast.

Yeast : Windsor's British Style Beer Yeast.

Beer : Extract from Best Case (Nova-Scotian) Piccadilly Porter
OG: 1.045-49 ABV: 5.2% IBUs: 18 (Values are approximate)
http://bestcasebeer.ca/piccadilly-porter.html

100g Black Patent Malt
120g Chocolate Malt
700g Dark Crystal Malt

2.6Kg Dark LME
0.6Kg Light LME

20g Northern Brewer Hops

Thanks for all input.

Have a Nice Day

You don't need to make a starter with dry yeast. At that gravity, one packet of rehydrated yeast should be fine.

Cheers!

That looks like an absurdly high amount of crystal malt (+16% by weight) especially since dark LME already has a good proportion of crystal. I would cut that 700g by at least 50% unless you want something cloyingly sweet

Personally, I'd either entirely switch your dark/light LME amounts (0.6kg dark LME and 2.6 light) or leave out the crystal entirely since youll be more than covered by the 2.6kg dark LME

Also, Windsor is a notoriously under-performing yeast. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to account for it. It will leave a lot more residual sugars than most yeasts so I would certainly not use it in something with a large portion of crystal malts because youd end up with an FG above 1.020 most likely

You don't need to make a starter with dry yeast. At that gravity, one packet of rehydrated yeast should be fine.

Cheers!

Thanks I guess it's dark not ''BIG''

That looks like an absurdly high amount of crystal malt (+16% by weight) especially since dark LME already has a good proportion of crystal. I would cut that 700g by at least 50% unless you want something cloyingly sweet

Personally, I'd either entirely switch your dark/light LME amounts (0.6kg dark LME and 2.6 light) or leave out the crystal entirely since youll be more than covered by the 2.6kg dark LME

Also, Windsor is a notoriously under-performing yeast. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to account for it. It will leave a lot more residual sugars than most yeasts so I would certainly not use it in something with a large portion of crystal malts because youd end up with an FG above 1.020 most likely

Thanks !!
As for as changing the recipe I'm not confident in doing so, But will certainly look for those signs, and if i brew this one again maybe then.
And I believe they make their own LME, So maybe it's all accounted for...
Knowing Windsor is an underachiever maybe 1 and 1/2 packet ?

This is the website definition...
DESCRIPTION
Porter originated in London, England, as a blend of stout and pale ale. It flourished for over two centuries before fading away to near oblivion. Revived by micros and homebrewers, this beer is dark (almost black) but not as roasty as a stout. Some subtle chocolate notes, and relatively low bitterness, make this flavourful session beer as popular today, as it was among the Street and River Porters of London’s past. Serve cool.

Tanks a bunch guys :)

pitching a larger starter will NOT help attenuation.

... the "under performance" that they refer to in the yeast, is a process of how efficient the strain is at eating longer chain sugars... some strains don't eat the more complex sugars, so they leave more sweetness and less alcohol behind...

... pitching a larger initial population won't change that character of the yeast.

pitching a larger starter will NOT help attenuation.

... the "under performance" that they refer to in the yeast, is a process of how efficient the strain is at eating longer chain sugars... some strains don't eat the more complex sugars, so they leave more sweetness and less alcohol behind...

... pitching a larger initial population won't change that character of the yeast.

I Understand, and now remember reading about it.
And that's what Windsor says about that yeast.
Moderate attenuation, which leave a relatively high gravity.

You where right it finished at 20. the taste is not clean...
It's still beer but...

Your beer is still very young. Be sure to save some bottles for sampling after three months of warm conditioning. The beer will most likely be a lot smoother tasting.

I used rehydrated S-04 in my whiskely stout to still get some English character, but better performance than the windsor. gotta chill one or two & see how it is after about 4 weeks in the bottles. Porters & stouts do generally need more time in the bottles to condition. In my opinion, it seems to depend on how much roasted malts are used. I swapped out the black patent malt for black prinz this time, so we'll see. Just wanted to ad my 2c...:mug:

Latest posts

Back