Is my yeast dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsimoneau

Reaction score
My first brew is a robust porter from Brewers Best. Everything has gone fine, but after 12 weeks in the bottle there is still no carbonation. There is a slight pssst when the bottle is opened, but very flat beer. They were stored at 68-70 degrees for 6+ weeks and since there was no carbonation then I stirred them and moved them to a warmer room (73-75) for about 2 weeks. Then I moved them back to the 68-70 degrees and opened one last night and there is still no carbonation. Did my yeast somehow die during this process? I know it was alive during fermentation because the beer is at it's finishing gravity. Should I add a tweezer-full of yeast to each bottle and re-cap? The priming sugar was added - I know that for a fact. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of bottles are you using? Pop tops, swingtops, etc.? Brewer's best kits tend to be great for carbonations levels....at least they were back when I first started brewing. After 12 weeks I would have fully expected a carbonated beer. You could be correct, either you have leaks in the bottles, or your yeast could be dead. I've heard of adding yeast directly to bottles, but as I've never done it, I couldn't tell you how much is enough.

Did you add your priming sugar before you bottled them? You could try buying some carb tabs and opening a few bottles adding the tabs and then wait another week or so to see if there is any improvement.

Thanks everyone. I am using pop tops and I assume they are on tight enough. I have yet to have one leak or anything after tipping them upside down to check them. Is there still a possibility they aren't sealed properly? I have the 2-handed capper that's supposed to be good quality. I know I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket before I added the beer to it - I specifically remember doing it and the kit came with the sugar and the bag is empty.

Did you cool your water/priming sugar solution? For my first few beers I didnt bother cooling it, figuring that 5 gallons of beer would cool it down just fine. I've had about three-four batches where I didnt bother cooling the solution and the beer turned out under carbed.

For the more experienced members out there, is this a possibility?

Silly question... you don't mention putting the ones you tried in the fridge. Are you refrigerating them for a couple days before popping them open?

I'm running into this same problem, but it's due to bad kegging conditions. I didn't have my taps so I was siphoning off the beer into pitchers, and now it's flat as a board and in bottles. I tried adding carb tabs, but now it just seems more sweet and flat. So I guess my best bet is to add some dry yeast. I've got about a 10 pack of 22oz bottles, so I'm guessing like just a few grains of yeast per bottle and then cover it in case of explosion??

Latest posts

Back