Is my vinator busted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolharry

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch in about a week so I ordered a vinator. It showed up yesterday, and I was excited to put it together and see how it worked first hand. I got the same spring problem most people seem to have from reading here under control after a few attempts, but I've got another one that I couldn't find a remedy to by searching.
Everything goes together right, I fill it about halfway up the white base with water just to test it out. When I push the bottle down and the plunger compresses I get a strong spray up into the bottle but when the plunger is returning to the extended position, a bunch of water shoots up from in between the white base and the plunger piece. its not just a tiny flow either, it seriously shoots up enough to hit the bottle and I don't remember seeing that in any of the videos I watched.
Is this user error, or did I get a busted vinator?

The pump base has 3 tabs spaced around it. They must be snapped in place in the bottom of the bowl. There are 3 slots around the bottom where the tabs snap in. That should fix it.

I know it sounds like a dumb question but...are you sure you have it threaded all the way on? Or is it cross threaded? No liquid should be coming out of the bottom of the plunger assembly.

Yeah I saw that in another thread. I made sure to click the red base in, but it didn't fix the problem at all, it almost seemed to make it spray more water out from between the two white pieces.

I know it sounds like a dumb question but...are you sure you have it threaded all the way on? Or is it cross threaded? No liquid should be coming out of the bottom of the plunger assembly.

Yeah, everything's together right, I may be using the wrong terms though.
looking at the pictures in this link: http://www.love2brew.com/Articles.asp?ID=286
Its spraying out between parts 4 and 5. between the pump base and the pump nozzle while the nozzle is returning to the fully extended position.

Sounds like you may be getting air trapped under the base that's pushing fluid up through where the plunget goes through the pump housing. Maybe make sure the parts aren't cross threaded or something.

Check the two ball bearing valves - IIRC, there is one inside the base plate and one inside the nozzle - be sure both are present (they can come out) and that they are oriented correctly (to allow flow in the proper direction). When you press down, the one in the nozzle should allow flow and the one in the base plate is closed, and during the return, just the opposite.

Well I took it all apart again and all the ball bearings are correct, nothing cross threaded, and still the same problem.
the only thing that's really different than the above instructions is on this step:

Insert the Pump Nozzle into the Pump Base. The nozzle will have four pegs on it that will need to be lined up correctly when inserting into the base. If the pegs are lined up correctly the nozzle should slide in effortlessly.

The pegs on mine don't need to be lined up for the nozzle to fit through the base. it fits through effortlessly no matter where the pegs are.

They always looked like fins to me that have to match up with the slots on the pump housing. That's the only way it'll slide through. So I doubt that's it. But the ball bearins might be sticky. Are you pumping it fast,or with a medium sort of rythm? I know how that sounds,but maybe excessive pressure build up.

They always looked like fins to me that have to match up with the slots on the pump housing. That's the only way it'll slide through. So I doubt that's it. But the ball bearins might be sticky. Are you pumping it fast,or with a medium sort of rythm? I know how that sounds,but maybe excessive pressure build up.

Are there actually supposed to be fins on the side of the nozzle? cause all I've got is the tabs the bottle hits to push it down. there are grooves in the base, but the nozzle is smooth all the way around so they're just open.
and as dirty as this sounds, I've pumped it slow, fast and in between and no matter what speed it still shoots water out.

No,the fins aren't that long. I'm runnin out of ideas beyond some kind of air leek. It's got to be sucking air someplace...kinda like an intermittent vapor lock.

Heres a video I found:

When the nozzle gets almost all the way back to the top, water shoots out of where the nozzle fits into the base.
This is almost exactly how mine functions. is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I see what you're looking at. That's the water coming out of the bottle & splashing down over the pump. The other thing as of the 1st pump was just air escaping from the pumping action. You'll notice that it can only be seen on that 1st pump.

I think I see what you're looking at. That's the water coming out of the bottle & splashing down over the pump. The other thing as of the 1st pump was just air escaping from the pumping action. You'll notice that it can only be seen on that 1st pump.

What I'm looking at happens on every pump in the video. He presses the bottle down, and on the upstroke, right before the nozzle returns to the resting position, you can see (and hear) the water shoot out of the space in between the lower nozzle piece and the upper nozzle piece.
I mean, everything seems to work fine otherwise. the inside of the bottle gets fully coated, it just seems like an excessive amount of water spraying out of a place it doesn't seem like it should.

Like I said,that's the water coming out of the bottle when the pump stalk is brought all the way up. It's not leaking out of the pump,it's coming out of the bottle. And that spring is def noisy.

I'm reviving this thread because I just got a Vinator today and I have the same problem. My red tabs are pushed down as hard as I could and I get an upward splash of water coming out from the pump base and pump nozzle, just like the OP.

It is not water draining out from the bottle as uniondr suggests... I know this because I can lift the bottle off of the nozzle before the spring has a chance to push the nozzle all the way back up and I still get water squirting up from in between the nozzle and base.

It looks as though the seal between the nozzle and base isn't as tight as it should be and this is causing water to get forced up through when the nozzle returns to the resting position. I can see water squirting through the little holes that are used to align the nozzle and base (side note, the hole in the base is loose enough that I don't have to align the tabs to insert the nozzle).

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this or should I take it back and get a new one?

That's just how mine works. I've been using it for over a year and a half. I always thought it was a way of sanitizing the lip of the bottle. Just assumed it was normal.

Sent from my van, down by the river.

Back