Is my regulator working properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank99

Reaction score
I just kegged my 1st batch last night and hooked up a dual gauge regulator. This is the 1st time I've ever done this, so I'm not sure if it's working correctly. When I turn the adjustment knob it will only decrease the pressure to about 60 lbs and the needle stops going further even with the adjustment knob screwed almost all the way out. If I then pull on the pressure release valve the needle then drops down to say 5 lbs. I can then turn the knob to increase the pressure and the needle goes up and seems to be working. I hooked up the keg to both regulators and they both seem to have this issue. Does this seem right ?

It's not an issue and is completely normal.

I find it easiest to set the regulator lower than my wanted pressure by unscrewing the adjustment screw and pulling the relief valve. I then turn it up to the pressure I want, let it stabilize and then pull the relief valve just to make sure it goes back to the pressure I set it at.

I agree with Scut Monkey, you cannot lower pressure with the regulator if the pressure in the keg is higher than regulator pressure

does that make sense to anyone but me???

Back