Is my lager done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arla

Reaction score
Been fermenting now for a little under a week.

I brewed a Munich Dunkel on Sunday last (3/24) pitched two packs of Saflager 34/70, temp control set to 51F
O.G. according to Tilt Hyrdometer was 1.051

On Tuesday the gravity started to drop, slowly at first, but then quicker
For the past day or two it's been sat at 1.018, I raised the temp this morning to 55F to see if I could encourage it to do more, but it's still just sat.

Any thoughts? Not had this problem before (although admittedly I don't brew that many Lagers)

Thanks, 51 seemed good from what I could find online about what people fermented with for this yeast, but thanks, will leave it to rise

That sucker goes all the way into mid 60s. Try it next time. You’ll be surprised. For now, let it come to room temp.

One week is at 51F is definitely not enough time, even if you were at the final gravity you want. You want the yeast to clean up after it's self, especially any off flavors such as sulfur which many lager yeasts produce. Warming it up will help clear it up quicker, but I usually go 2-3 weeks in primary, cold crash it for 2 days, transfer to keg and then let it lager for a month at least.

Thanks for all the input, will let it come slowly to room-temp and see what it does next...

It could be the Tilt isn't telling the truth (although the steady movement of the tilt before it hit 1.018 would SEEM to indicate it is, although I've not peaked in to check that it's still floating free), and agreed on all the "leaving it to lager" was more worried about it got stuck at 1.018 and whether I should start trying more drastic measures to unstick it. Will leave it for another week or two and then move on.

What was the recipe? If it's mostly munich malt (even more so with dark munich malt) 1.018 will be getting close to finished. If it's dark munich with a hefty dose of crystal, 1.018 is likely finished. Definitely go with a rest a bit warmer, but don't be surprised if you don't see much more movement.

Recipe was

9lbs Munich malt
4oz Carafe II
4oz Melanoiden

Both Carafe and Melanoiden were added towards the end of the mash for color

Thanks good to know that 1.018 might be as far as the gravity goes, because it seems set...

Mash schedule was

10 minutes at 131
40 minutes at 146
30 minutes at 158
15 minutes at 168

Latest posts

Back