Is my hydrometer broken??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrewnoob

Reaction score
Hey I've been having different readings with my hydro so someone suggested to drop it into some water and see if it was faulty. This is a pic I took in slightly colder then room temp tap water. Is it reading correctly?
Thanks everyone!

View attachment 1450057128226.jpg

You need to look at it from the water level not above looking down. But it does look close to 1.000

hydrometers are in fact calibrated to read the density of water (specific gravity) at 1.000 at a specific temperature. As the temperature drops the density of the water gets heavier. Your hydrometer may indicate the temperature it was calibrated for. It could be 60F or 68F. If the liquid is colder than the calibrated temp or warmer the reading will not be accurate.

Buy a refractometer... it'll solve half your problems. As far as final gravity, make sure the temperature is correct and use distilled water.

Back