Is my homebrew contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it ruined?

• Absolutley

• No - its safe

• The things you see in the beer aren't unusual

• Need to try it to see

Results are only viewable after voting.

slingshotmike

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm fairly new to brewing, but I've done a lot of reading and I take extreme care in cleaning everything.

I recently brewed a 5 gallon kit, and I monitored the fermenting about every day. I wasn't able to check on it during the last few days of the 2 week fermenting, and on Bottling Day, I was horrified that in the blowoff bucket water there was a dead fly floating, and some very very small worms (many in the water). Originally, the blowoff bucket contained about a tablespoon of bleach and 1.5 gallons of water. But from what I could tell, a lot of fluid was blown into the bucket during fermentation, and instead of smelling like bleach as my first bucket had, this smelled more like beer. I realize now that I should have changed that water earlier.

Moving on. I was pretty disturbed, but I monitored everything and proceeded to bottling. During bottling, I took extreme care to verify that nothing visible was in the beer. It looked clear and pure.

So Today is the 14th day in bottles, and I've been monitoring the bottles about every third day. Today, I was disturbed to notice that the bottles have some kind of things in the beer, near the top of the bottle, and that the bottom inch of the bottle are a bunch of cloudy particles.

Anyone with experience have any ideas? I tried to take a couple pictures. After moving the bottl , many of the things near the top of the bottle have appeared to disappear (fall?), but there are still a few.

I already have the "better safe than sorry" attitude, but I'd like to know if you have any experience or could tell me anything about what I'm seeing.

Please help!

Thanks!

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

Pop a beer open and see what it tastes like.

I've made gluten free beers that had a bunch of junk floating in them before like that but never had the same broblem with gluten beers.

Back