is my fermentation complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonsnz

Reaction score
Hi, I have had my first batch on for 7 days now, and for the past 48 hours the SG seems to have stopped at about 1012. The instructions say I should not bottle until it reaches 1006, however it also says to bottle when it is constant for 24 hours... can anyone help me with this? Should I bottle now or wait to see if it reaches 1006? I have heard bad things about bottling too early. and too late for that matter...
It is just a coopers lager mix by the way.

Cheers

seven days in the primary at 1012 I would guess that it is done.

was lager yeast included with the kit? Lagers usually require lower temps and longer periods of time to ferment. sometimes temperature changes can cause yeast to go dormant for a few days and then pick back up. You may want to give it a couple of days and check it again just to be sure.

I would be surprised if the kit included an actual lager yeast. Never got one myself though so maybe. Did the kit specify a temperature to keep the fermentation at?

Instructions say:

"whilst the yeast enclosed will ferment effectively at at 18C-32C, we recommend a brew temperature of 21C-27C for optimium results. After about 4 days at 27C or 6 days at 21C (higher temps shorten the ferment time) check with a hydrometer that the brew has reached its FG by ensuring SG readings over 2 days are steady."

I have had the brew at about 21C-23C Celcius as its winter here, so thought it would take the 6 days, however has now been 7. The SG has been constant for 2 days, so that matches the instructions, but its only at 1012

Most kit instructions are written to sell more kits, NOT to make good beer....there's a lot of discussion on here about why kit instructions differ so widely from "better brewing practices."

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/why-kit-instructions-so-horrible-99070/

You will find a lot of benefits for NOT rushing through this process...many of us leave our beers in primary for a month then bottle, that leaves plenty of time for the yeast to clean up the byproducts of fermentation, and clear the beer.

Other's rack to secondary somewhere between the 10th and 14th day (If I secondary I wait 2 weeks, the secondary for 2 weeks.

I know you are anxious to move this along and get your first beer, but holding off a few more days won't hurt, just the opposite it will help the beer...the yeast are fastidious beasties, they like to work as longs as possible...fermentaion is only part of what they do...

Even John Palmer in "How To Brew" mentions the benefits of waiting...

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

Also, if it's got a few more points to go, you might want to give the fermenter a gentle "nudge" or swirl to kcik the yeast back up in suspension. (In a carboy grasp the neck gently, set it up on one edge and turn it once- do the same for the bucket) and leave it alone for a few more days.....it may drop a few more points...

Good luck...

Back