Is my element toast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearcamp

Reaction score
I have an ebiab single vessel system. Brewed an IPA and decided to use my grain basket as a hop filter for the whirlpool hops. I added the basket with 5 minutes left to sanitize. Once temp got to 180 threw about 3.5 oz of hops. Decided it was a good idea to keep the element on to keep the temp at 180 for the 20 min whirlpool. After cleaning I notice black areas on my element. I soaked it in pbw and the black areas are not coming off. I think when I was recirculating during the whilirpool the hops clogged the bottom of the basket and parts of my element was dry

Any other ideas?

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

You might also use one of those green scrubbing pads. While the element is still wet the caked on matter will come right off.

After every brew i soak my element in vinegar , it still looks like its new

So is it the black scorched areas or the rust thats concerning you? I never saw a ripple element where the ripple part wasn't stainless? Or does it just look like rust in the pictures. Hopefully the scorching doesnt make your beer taste like an ashtray..

Back