Is my brew getting too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongob

Reaction score
I'm brewing in a hot country and so far I've managed to maintain a fermenter temperature of around 72-74 degrees but it has now gone up to 78. As this is the maximum temperature that my liquid thermometer indicates for ale I'm assuming this is the maximum temperature the beer should be before bad things can happen. The style of the beer is looking like an IPA possibly an imperial one. It shouldn't get warmer than that but how bad would it be if it did? Are there any cooling techniques? I read something about putting it in ice but is that recommended after it has already been fermenting for 11 days?

at 11 days the damage is already done. look into a "swamp cooler". most ale yeasts are best in the mid 60's. do you like belgians/saisons? looks like you have good temps for those.

I'd say yes, those ferm temps are getting too high. A lot depends on what yeast strain you're using but I think 78 degrees is too high for just about any yeast. If it's an IPA, then it's definitely too high at 78. Most people shoot for an ambient temp of 64ish. Keep in mind the actual wort temperature inside the vessel can rise about 5 degrees above ambient during active fermentation.

There are a few affordable ways to get your temp down. Lots of people use swamp coolers. Here's a link to a thread showing a few examples: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/swamp-cooler-199965/

Just google search "swamp coolers" or "controlling fermentation temperature" and you'll find a ton of useful information.

Next time keep it below 70 for the first 5 days ish when the primary bulk of fermentation happens then you can let it get up to say 74 after that to get the yeast excited again to clean up your ferment. Then move to bottles/kegs after you see a consistent terminal gravity. The temp is critical for those first few days.

You might want to look into brewing Belgian styles. Your temp range looks perfect for Saisons.

Thanks everyone, am still hoping a miracle will happen but looks like I definitely need to look at ways to keep the fermenter cooler next time. I do like saisons but am not in a position to buy more ingredients for a while due to how much it costs me to get them sent to where I am so will have to research and see if I can make one with what I already have. Better luck next time!

If the wort was not too warm during the first four or so days it might be good. Even it too warm it might be off flavor but drinkable. The hotter it get the worse the off flavors will be.

Most ale yeasts like the mid sixties. And under 70 degrees. A swamp cooler is just a tub of water that submerges the fermenter 1/3 to 2/3 in height. Rotate frozen water bottles to keep target temperature as stable as possible.

Ferment in a chest freezer with temperature control. The only way to go in my view if you live in a hot place. Things are really cheap here in the states so $300 roughly for this setup.

There are other ways to do it to but this gives a really great level of control.

Needed

Chest freezer
Small heater
STC 1000
project box
outlet and some wiring (from extension cord)

Chest Freezer.jpg

Lasko Heater 1.jpg

STC 1000.jpg

Back