Is my beer showing early signs of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippers

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here so hopefully you guys can help me out.

I had my first ever brew day on Sunday and I've been fermenting my beer for 3 days now and I might be overthinking but is it showing early signs of infection?

IMG_20201223_222152.jpg

Those appear to be what are called yeast rafts and look pretty normal, but what yeast and temperature? 3 days to have the krausen form and fall from an active fermentation could be a little fast depending on a few variables.
It’s also best to keep that sucker sealed up and not peek for several weeks until your ready to take a final gravity reading and/or package.

Those appear to be what are called yeast rafts and look pretty normal, but what yeast and temperature? 3 days to have the krausen form and fall from an active fermentation could be a little fast depending on a few variables.
It’s also best to keep that sucker sealed up and not peek for several weeks until your ready to take a final gravity reading and/or package.

I must admit I have gone a little high with the temp. I've gone for 22°c as the recipe didn't state anything and I'm a bit silly and didn't Google the temp for British Ale Yeast. However there are no fruity off smells or a banana smell which you get with a high fermentation. It smells like a normal pale ale to me.

It looks like yeast rafts, so completely normal. Make sure that, whenever you open the fermenter for any reason, to not dissolve too much oxygen and sanitise everything that goes in contact with the beer. The less you mess around with the beer, the better it will be. ( but if you have to open it, take precautions )

Latest posts

Back