Is my Barley Crusher Damaged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysailor

Reaction score
We were brewing the other night and found a broken black rubber band type thing in our crushed grain. I'm wondering if this came from the barley crusher. I looked at it last night and couldn't see any obvious place where it would have come from. When I crank the mill only one of the rollers turns. I can't remember if both rollers were driven by the crank or if the second roller just turns because grain is being drawn through. Can someone help me out? Another brew day is on the horizon.

Yup, it probably came from the BC (it probably was an o-ring that they put around one of the rollers).

And no, it's not broken. My instructions said that you can expect that o-ring to eventually wear down and break, and the BC will still be fine (it does not need to be replaced or anything). Not sure why they put it on there--maybe to prevent shipping damage?

I don't have my BC in front of me, but I think only one roller rolls...

Back