Is my Apple cider safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
I fermented a cider around six months ago that was left in the bucket with fruit in it. When I opened the bucket it looked like the attached fotos. Is it safe to drink? I'm particularly thinking about the white-ish specks.. i tried tasting and it tasted ok..

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20181030_232108.jpeg
IMG_20181030_232105.jpeg
IMG_20181030_232100.jpeg

I'd take a good whiff and see how it smells, if it smells OK, taste a little, it is probably safe to do that, even if it does not taste good, probably safe to taste.

That is assuming initial sugar level was high enough to avoid botulism...which is the only thing I would really worry about, safety wise.

That is what I would do, but am not an expert. Did yo happen to take a gravity reading at beginning?

I'd take a good whiff and see how it smells, if it smells OK, taste a little, it is probably safe to do that, even if it does not taste good, probably safe to taste.

That is assuming initial sugar level was high enough to avoid botulism...which is the only thing I would really worry about, safety wise.

That is what I would do, but am not an expert. Did yo happen to take a gravity reading at beginning?
It should be around 6/6.5% ABV. I "tested" a rather large glass..

Back