Is Manilla Rope As Weather Resistant As Sisal Or Hemp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Looking for about 600' of weather resistant 1/4" natural fiber rope. Manilla is by far more affordable, but will it last 6 months outside?

Pat, I was thinking 25', but am now considering 30'.

The rope is for the uprights, for the bines to cling to. Thinking a V from each rhizome.

The span will be carried by 1/4" galvanized 7x19 aircraft cable.

Manila seems to be adequate and is more readily available than the others, in the quantity I desire, and at a price I can stomach.

Not sure the differences between these styles of rope and which is stronger but I was looking at bailers twine before I went with a more plastic based rope (polyproplene I think. It was sold as clothsline). I know Tractor Supply Company sells the bailers twine for........you know what, I guess "bailers twine" is Brazilian Sisal. But here is 20,000 feet of polyproplene twine for $30!

Tractor Supply Company - Polypropylene Twine for Square or Round Bales, 110 Tensile, 20,000 ft.

Plus it "Contains special UV light inhibitors which allows it to withstand intense exposure over long periods!" Sounds fancy, huh? :)

The answer is YES.

erigging has 1200 ft for $37 plus shipping.

that is what we use, but they do rot if they touch the ground and stay wet, but the sun has no issue with it. This year we have made rings to keep it away from ground contact.

As 99% of us will hand pick, ANY rope will work, if you can afford it buy nylon or woven polyprop , but thin sisal twine might not hold up to strong wind. As we need some 6000ft, nylon is beyond our budget for now, but is planned for future.

I did one experiment with waxed binding twine and it held up without issue last year and was pretty cheap, will do another group with it on second year growth to confirm its ability to hold the weight this year

Pat, I was thinking 25', but am now considering 30'.

The rope is for the uprights, for the bines to cling to. Thinking a V from each rhizome.

The span will be carried by 1/4" galvanized 7x19 aircraft cable.

Manila seems to be adequate and is more readily available than the others, in the quantity I desire, and at a price I can stomach.

I was thinking on 50 feet apart because I have eight different kinds and a couple of each.

Pat

Back