Is it wrong to like a commercial beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Had a half liter of Fuller's ESB. Going to have to make me an ESB now. Have tried Bridgeport's ESB and the Red Hook ESB, and liked them...

But I'm drooling over that Fuller's. Haven't seen it around here. Gonna have to clone it or find some somewhere...

Is this wrong? I feel dirty....

IMO, it's not wrong to like commercial brews.

It's just wrong when you prefer them. :D

Of course it isn't. How are you ever going to know what styles you enjoy and will eventually want to brew?

I for one, try to get a taste of everything. I know for a fact I'll probably never brew an altbier, just based on the ones I've tasted. I can find a comparable style that is definitely worth the time.

FWIW, I've been buying up MGD like it has gone out of style lately. I don't know what has come over me. I've been craving a clean, crisp lager type beer, so I guess I started reverting back to the old Miller stand-bys. :eek:

Fuller's ESB rocks. Especially when in England. Have not tried it here though. Kind of hard to find an English pub in Texas.

Drink with pride. Fuller's ESB rocks....

Try their London Porter. You might need CPR it's that damn good. (IMHO)

Ize

EdWort said:
Fuller's ESB rocks. Especially when in England. Have not tried it here though. Kind of hard to find an English pub in Texas.

Come up to Dallas, we have a few good English pubs (Londoner etc.), and the Flying Saucer.

On topic: Picked up a 6 pack of Shiner Hefe last night. Forgot how much I like that beer on a 106 degree day! Stupid summer....

Dude said:
FWIW, I've been buying up MGD like it has gone out of style lately. I don't know what has come over me. I've been craving a clean, crisp lager type beer, so I guess I started reverting back to the old Miller stand-bys.

Don't fret it, Your Royal Dudeness. Every now and then, a good ice-cold macro-brew hits the spot. It brings us back to our roots. In the summertime when it's hot outside, there's nothing better than an MGD. I could go for one right now if it wasn't for this oppressionist "don't drink beers at 9:07am on a Thursday when you're at work" culture we're forced to live in.

Dude said:
Of course it isn't. How are you ever going to know what styles you enjoy and will eventually want to brew?

I for one, try to get a taste of everything. I know for a fact I'll probably never brew an altbier, just based on the ones I've tasted. I can find a comparable style that is definitely worth the time.

FWIW, I've been buying up MGD like it has gone out of style lately. I don't know what has come over me. I've been craving a clean, crisp lager type beer, so I guess I started reverting back to the old Miller stand-bys. :eek:

No prob there, Dude. I've been the same way with Leinie's Honey Wiess lately. And my camping beer is really shameful- I usually down a 30 pack of Old Milwaukee over a weekend of camping. I have no shame -if it foams, I generally like it.:mug:

FWIW, I've been buying up MGD like it has gone out of style lately. I don't know what has come over me. I've been craving a clean, crisp lager type beer, so I guess I started reverting back to the old Miller stand-bys.
BAD Dude!!! Bad!

Here in the Pacific North West Supporters of Native Oregon Brewing (SNOBS) are thick upon the floor. Must be those Doubles, Triples and Imperials.

Where else have they named a mountain range after a hop?

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right. That is, provided you're not drinking lite beer.

I'm sipping a Leinenkugel's (sp?) red right now, and I really like Newcastle.

Back on topic, I find myself exploring a LOT more commerical beers since I began homebrewing, rather than just grabbing the same sixer. Different styles I want to explore, different brews I've read about here, plus I just have a much better understanding and appreciation of all that is involved with beer.

Concurrently, I now have even LESS tolerance for mass-market commercial beers, except in very rare instances (like - there's nothing else!)

Got here late on this one... Theres nothing wrong with commercial brews. Some are just better than others.

EdWort said:

They have Fullers on tap in Austin at The Dog and Duck at Guadalupe around 15th.

- magno

Sometimes you just want some swill.
PBR = good- (but very cheap)
Henry Weinhard's = good
Henry Weinhard's Northwest Trail = good+
Henry Weinhard's Summer Ale + Hot day = good++

For me, the quality to quantity ratio matters.

Back