Is it worth trying to salvage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Accidic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen countless "should I throw it out" posts over the last couple years but the period of time is usually 3-6 months. I had 10G worth I put down and then had to do some travel so had a family member bottle (and drink all of wtfh) in my absence. Yesterday while cleaning some items out I found out they apparently only bottled one of the buckets and didn't realize there were actually two so I've got a 5g batch of a moderate gravity wheat ale (1.071 IIRC OG) untouched for over 18 months and bagged in a thermal container kept at ~60-75 degrees.

My question is, while I have no issue popping it open and trying it and throwing it out if it's god awful... Before I jostle the container and possibly stir it up, I was going to check if anyone had any suggestions on how to proceed. Have only done a few sours but nothing on this kind of timeline on something very likely autolyzed as all get out. ;)

Any suggestions are welcome. :)

That's my next step but trying to make a very general plan before I do so so that it's jostled minimally. It's literally remained completely motionless (save for me unzipping the bag recently) for the entire time. :)

I would say grab a sample to smell/taste without moving it. If it seems alright and it's sitting on the floor, get someone to put something underneath to elevate it a couple feet while you carefully lift it completely vertical, so that you have a height differential for siphoning into the bottling bucket without disturbing it too much. Then proceed as usual.
Just my $.02.

That's my next step but trying to make a very general plan before I do so so that it's jostled minimally. It's literally remained completely motionless (save for me unzipping the bag recently) for the entire time. :)
Plan:

a) Smell it
b) Taste it
c) i. If it passes a and b, bottle as per normal procedure for your process
ii. If it fails a little on the taste and smells fine, bottle one bottle as per your normal procedure and allow to carbonate. Stick carbonated beer in refrigerator for a minimum of 2 full days. Taste beer. If terrible...dump it all. Otherwise, see c) i.
iii. If it fails either test miserably, dump it.

Edit: It is beer, not nitroglycerin. Think how much movement goes into a bottle when you pour it.

Back