Is it too late???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbo

Reaction score
Hello
I did my first AG yesterday, Ed's Haus Pale Ale. It took all day, and I think I missed every temp and volume, but now I know what I should have done, and I'll be much more prepared next time. More importantly, I have 4 gallons sitting in my fermenter with a gravity of 1.063. I pitched the yeast last night at about 11:00, without even thinking that I could add some top-off water to get it to 5 gallons, and the gravity would be probably be right around the correct gravity of 1.051. Fermentation has started - right now, there's a bubble every 15 seconds. Is it too late to add the topoff water? If not, can I pour it in, or am I to the point where I would need to siphon it in gently?
Of course, if it's too late to add the topoff water, I'm content to drink my 4 gallons of stronger or sweeter beer : )

Should not be to late. I know the home-brew store around here recommended doing a 4 gallon batch for there oatmeal stoat extract kit and adding the water after fermentation so that you would not need a blow off tube (for some reason they don't like blow off tubes, they could not really give me a reason why). Just make sure the water has been boiled and cooled down so that it is sanitary.

if it were me, i'd just be happy with a smaller stronger brew and just brew that one again. let it age for a bit and bust it out when you brew the next batch with all the water in it. thats what i'd do any way

I am super-new to Homebrewing (6 months) and Allgrain (3 weeks)...but from what I've read, that's a considerably high gravity and if you didn't make a suitable starter, your yeast could struggle through fermentation.

With that said, I'd add water sooner than later to give your yeast a break...but I'd wait to act on this advice until someone else that's more experienced confirms/rejects it.

Good Luck! (BTW- I'd rather it be too strong than too weak :) )

Latest posts

Back