is it too late to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I think growing my own hops would be awesome, but I am not too sure if it is too late for me. I am located on Long Island New York at about 42 degrees north latitude. I would be able to get them in the ground about may 5th if I ordered the rhizomes right now, too late?

no, not too late.

You will not be getting much of any harvest the first year anyway. Go for it. Any naysayers be damned!

nice thanks for the help everyone, I was aware that the first year will produce very little crop. I totally thought I missed the boat this year anywhere else besides freshops have rhizomes? I am looking for some northern brewer or maybe some mittelfruh

most of the online HBS have them. I got mine from Midwest. Or try finding someone local that will give you some. They need to be pruned every few years and many new rizhomes can be had. The only trouble with that is I have found a lot of people near me that grow them, unfortunately they have no idea what type or hop they are!

stevecaaster said:
nice thanks for the help everyone, I was aware that the first year will produce very little crop. I totally thought I missed the boat this year anywhere else besides freshops have rhizomes? I am looking for some northern brewer or maybe some mittelfruh

northern brewer actually places orders through Freshops, and charges you $1.50 extra for the "convenience"

heh...my apologies...i thought you were expressing preference for Northern Brewer, the store, not the hop. Thats what I get for reading too quickly!:drunk:

Back