Is it stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I have an idea of a stout running aroun in my muddled little head and was wondering if somone(s) would mind giving me some feedback.
It's a little strange;)
Soooooo,here goes;
15ltr batch
1300gr munich malt
1000gr W.pilsner malt
250gr chocolate malt
250gr roast barley
50gr black malt.

50gr Willamette 4%AA @ 60
6gr Willamette @ 15
100gr cocoa powder(dutch) @15

Nottingham dried yeast.
The way I see it I am looking at 4.4%alc before carbonation(4.8% after)
So,what's it look like lads?
Cheers.:D

I have an idea of a stout running aroun in my muddled little head and was wondering if somone(s) would mind giving me some feedback.
It's a little strange;)
Soooooo,here goes;
15ltr batch
1300gr munich malt
1000gr W.pilsner malt
250gr chocolate malt
250gr roast barley
50gr black malt.

50gr Willamette 4%AA @ 60
6gr Willamette @ 15
100gr cocoa powder(dutch) @15

Nottingham dried yeast.
The way I see it I am looking at 4.4%alc before carbonation(4.8% after)
So,what's it look like lads?
Cheers.:D

Yes, its stout, although I would modify the percentages a bit in the recipe. Your dark malts are at just under 20% and that's more than you need IMO. I'd suggest trying something like 200g of roasted barley and 100g of chocolate. To make up for the subtraction add another 100g or so to the base malt(s). That will make it similar in color to a Guinness or Murphy's. If you want to keep the 50g of black malt for extra color you can but I don't think it is necessary and as you are add cocoa powder for flavor the charcoal aspect of the black malt probably won't be missed. The base malt in a stout is typically pale malt but I assume you are using the Munich and pils because that is what's available. In this case the extra flavor from the Munich might work nicely with the cocoa.

Cheers for that, the assumption is right, that's what I have.
I have this black malt that a buddy brought over from Canada, and it's just sistting there. I don't know what to do with it and have never used it before,so I thought, why not chuck it into the stout.

So it's in the bottle
Final recipe was 1300gr Pils malt
1000gr Munich malt
300gr Roasted barley
200gr chocolate malt
40gr Willamette@60 and 18gr at 20
whirlflock and 80gr cocoa powder at 15.
OG 1041 FG 1004

Latest posts

Back