Is it still okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWB

Reaction score
While bottling with my auto siphon it seems as there were bubbles in the tubing and a few times I had to pump the siphon again to make it go faster which would create bubbles at the bottom of the bottle. Is my beer ruined with oxidation? Will it still be fine if I drink it pretty young? Maybe within a month of bottling? It's my first batch so i am just overall nervous about every step.

Were you using a bottle filler as well or using the tube to fill the bottles? Having had the same issues a few times with my auto siphon, yet I thought my beer was great. What kind of beer is it? That can play into it as well.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it especially on my first batch. I know I did all sorts of things wrong on my first (a red ale) and still ended up with beer that was palatable.

Were you using a bottle filler as well or using the tube to fill the bottles? Having had the same issues a few times with my auto siphon, yet I thought my beer was great. What kind of beer is it? That can play into it as well.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it especially on my first batch. I know I did all sorts of things wrong on my first (a red ale) and still ended up with beer that was palatable.
I was using a bottle filler as well. And it is an imperial IPA

RDWHAHB. You will get better with the with the siphon as you go. Might not be ideal but it's your first batch just roll with it you will still get beer.

If I understand correctly, it might not be "air", but be bubbles of CO2 coming out of solution that aggregate together.
It seemed like there were pockets of air when I was bottling

I don't know if it is air coming up from the tubing, or CO2 coming out of solution.

If it stays 'constant' you have gotten an air bubble in there. Just tap the tubing several times and the flow should take the bubbles away and fix the issue. If the bubbles increase to the extent that racking is almost stopped, then I think you are racking too soon and the beer still has a lot of entrained CO2 from the ferment (probably not finished fermenting).

I don't know if it is air coming up from the tubing, or CO2 coming out of solution.

If it stays 'constant' you have gotten an air bubble in there. Just tap the tubing several times and the flow should take the bubbles away and fix the issue. If the bubbles increase to the extent that racking is almost stopped, then I think you are racking too soon and the beer still has a lot of entrained CO2 from the ferment (probably not finished fermenting).
If this is true and the beer had a lot of CO2, what will be the consequences of that? Will it carb up faster? Could the taste be thrown off?

If this is true and the beer had a lot of CO2, what will be the consequences of that? Will it carb up faster? Could the taste be thrown off?

This is 1¢ worth of knowledge.

If it is CO2 coming out of solution then it will likely take longer to carb. You just lost some carbonation which happens more readily at room temps (this is my understanding, if I’m wrong them please straighten me out). Frankly I’m not sure if you would notice how much longer. You’ve already lost CO2 out of the solution (bubbles in the airlock).

This could also be the result of having a pinhole leak in the line somewhere..probably at a connecting point where the line is slid over something. I’ve noticed if I dont slide the tubing on far enough I can develop these types of issues where I suck air into the line. Usually a clamp of some kind can help or pushing the line on further. Just keep playing around and you’ll have it figured out in no time

Congratulations on your first brew. You'll be fine. Hopefully you enjoyed doing it.
I really enjoy doing this. I just tested my first bottle after 6 days bottle conditioning and it tastes great. Obviously it wasnt fully carbed. Might be a bit oxidized but hey, it's still beer and it's my first batch. Overall I am very happy with how my first batch turned out. By the way, if it is oxidized how will I know? It almost just tasted a little floral and was a bit darker but that's probably because it was only in the fridge for like 9 hours.

What does "RDWHAHB" mean?

You obviously have not read Papazian. Worth reading his books if you get the chance. At one time, his books were the reference material for Homebrewing. A lot of things have changed since then, but they still have a lot of useful information.

I really enjoy doing this. I just tested my first bottle after 6 days bottle conditioning and it tastes great. Obviously it wasnt fully carbed. Might be a bit oxidized but hey, it's still beer and it's my first batch. Overall I am very happy with how my first batch turned out. By the way, if it is oxidized how will I know? It almost just tasted a little floral and was a bit darker but that's probably because it was only in the fridge for like 9 hours.

Oxidation takes time to show itself. The beer will start to taste stale, or like cardboard. May take a couple of months to appear. If you think you have oxidation issues, the best thing to do is drink quick.

Back