is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar_dog_1

Reaction score
When using Star San no rinse, do I have to wait for the equipment to dry or can I use while still wet? In addition, can there be a small puddle in the bottom of say the fermentor? I ask because I saw a youtube video of a guy who said there was some sanitizer left in his carboy as he was auto siphoning it. Bubbles wete pouring out of the top from the sanitizer and he said that was a good thing. I wasn't sure if having a puddle or still soaking wet made a difference in the beer and or if it was safe.

O approciate all thoughts!

I pour out puddles, but don't worry if another forms. The foam is fine: "Don't fear the foam." I regularly use a growler to transport beer and simply dunk it in Star San, dump and fill. The foam from the Star San pushes right out the top. Every time my wife asks me why I left soap in it and I have to tell her it's not soap. It's fine--won't hurt you.

It's intended to be used while still wet. If you wait for it to dry additional microscopic bacterias, yeast, microbes etc in the air could actually land back on the surface and it would no longer be sterile. A small puddle should be fine as long as it's not a significant amount.

It is safe. Use while wet. When dried, I don't think it's sanitized anymore.

Wet is good for star san.... Also, the main active ingredient is the same acid (phosphoric acid) that's in soft drinks. It is supposedly broken down during fermentation by the yeast and acts as nutrient.

Don't fear the foam!

I already called them. But I asked them how long it is good for. Fyi for my fellow brewers, they said I could fill a 5gallon bucket and a long as it is covered, it would remain effective for about 3 months. As ling as the ph was below 3.5, it is still effective. It is really gonna cut down on the expense and time to prepare just for a sg reading.

Back